Karnali Academy of Health Sciences (KAHS) aims to produce the next generation of health professionals and leaders through educational excellence, innovative research, evidence-informed patient-centered care, public health advocacy and collaborative community engagement for health promotion and wellness, as well as disease prevention and cure locally and globally. In this connection the BACHELOR OF PUBLIC HEALTH (BPH) program will be one of the cornerstones to achieve the goals of the KAHS.
Background and Goals of the BPH Program
There is a dearth of core public health professionals in the government health machinery. With a rapid health transition taking place, Nepal faces two threats, one being the rising disease burden and other is the poor allocation of government funds. Both can be effectively managed by personnel trained in public health through appropriate public health training, i.e. ability to involve communities, work in multidisciplinary teams, and lobbying with government and community leaders with a deep understanding of social, economic and environmental determinants of health. Public health professionals are well armed to face these challenges.
Purpose of the Program
The most widely recognized professional credential for leadership in public health is Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) degree. This program prepares students to be competitive on a global level in vast area of community health. It emphasizes on acquisition of skills essential to practice of public health through techniques like student directed learning, problem solving and field postings. Public health professionals can function as policy analysts, health planners, epidemiologists, demographers, social and behavioral scientists.
Mission of the Program
KAHS prepares public health leaders to build a tradition of public health that challenges conventional thinking with excellence on integrity, ethical behavior and respect for diversity for the ascertainment of the School of Public Health, KAHS to new horizons.
Vision of the Program
The vision of the BPH program is to promote and maintain health across the population; prevent disease and injury and reduce health inequalities; conduct community based quality research that transformed into practice; train and create a cadre of Public Health Leadership, and ensure collective commitment to ethical behavior.
By the completion of BPH program the students will achieve the following objectives:
- To develop the knowledge and skills in the basic medical sciences and their application.
- Enhance the knowledge and practical skills in public health, primary health care, health system development, health economics, nutrition, and occupational and environmental health.
- Train and develop the students on epidemiological aspects of diseases.
- To develop skills in analyzing, designing and evaluating applied public health research and management.
- Ensure the skillful practice and leading human resources through community diagnosis, family health exercise and district health system management.
- Develop research and scientific writing skills.
- Develop extracurricular competencies through training, seminar and exposure to school health, water supply, dairy product and waste treatment etc.
Duration of the course
Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) is a 4 years’ academic programme which includes 6 months of practical posting in the final year.
The normal duration for completing the BPH course is four years. However the student is allowed normal duration (4 years) plus three years to complete the course. If student is unable to complete the course within seven years from the date of admission, the registration in academy will be canceled.
The Course Outline of BPH Program
- Communication Skill and Practices
- Integrated Health Sciences-I
- Integrated Health Sciences-II
- Biostatistics I, Demography and Health Informatics
- Health Promotion Education I and Behavioral Sciences I
- Public Health and Practices
- Integrated Public Health Field Exercise
- Biostatistics and Research Methodology
- Family Health I and Nutrition I
- Health Promotion Education II and Behavioral Sciences II
- Environmental and Occupational Health
- Public Health Administration and Leadership Management I
- Epidemiology (Basic) I
- Community Health Diagnosis
- Family Health II and Nutrition II
- Health Promotion Education III
- Epidemiology (Applied) II
- Health System Management and Global Health
- Health Economic, Financing and Health System Management
- School and Community Health
- District Health System Management
- Public Health Administration & Management
- Public Health Programme and Project Management
- Public Health Research
- Public Health Practicum
- Elective Course: Mountain Health
- Syllabus for Bachelor in Public Health (BPH) Common Entrance Examination
- Sample Questions for MEC Common Entrance Examination
- 100 MCQs for Master of Public Health
- Primary Health Care & Nutrition MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Sociology MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Health Management and Health Economics MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Health Education MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Epidemiology MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Environmental & Occupational Health MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Demography MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Research Methodology & Bio-stat MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Bachelor of Public Health Program- Karnali Academy of Health Sciences
- Bachelor in Public Health (BPH) Programme- IOM, Tribhuvan University
- Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) colleges in Nepal
- Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) – Faculty of Medical and Allied Science, Purbanchal University
- Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) Program, Pokhara University