Pokhara University was established with enactment of the Pokhara University Act 2053 BS and Pokhara University regulation 2055 BS with the mandate to produce high level human resources in different disciplines in partnership with the private sectors.
Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) is a four year program of Pokhara University under Faculty of Science and Technology. This program aims to fulfill the gaps of middle level public health practitioners in Nepal. The major goal of the program is to produce public health graduates of highest academic, technical and practical skill. The objective of the BPH program is to produce competent and need based public health graduates.
Bachelor of public health program of Pokhara University is rightly designed to produce middle level public health practitioners who can competently take of the public health actions. In this light, introduction and implementation of quality public health education has become a principal motto of this program, which envisioned to contribute in achieving the target of national health development.
The course of BPH is designed to achieve the following objectives, to:
- Develop the knowledge and skills in applied public health sciences, laboratory works on applied health actions.
- Introduce and enhance the knowledge and practical skills in public health, primary health, health systems development, health economics, nutrition and environmental health.
- Train and develop the skills on epidemiological aspects of diseases and health system.
- Develop skills in designing, analyzing and evaluating applied public health research and management.
- Enhance the knowledge and practical skills in dealing with human resource development and existing issues in public health management.
- Develop the research and scientific writing skills through the introduction of research methods term paper and thesis.
- Ensure the skillful, practical and leading human resources through the community diagnosis and comprehensive field practices.
- Develop the extracurricular competencies through training and seminar.
There is growing concern for improvement of health status from all stakeholders within Nepal or in the foreign countries. Provision of equitable access to health care for attainment of an acceptable level of health and better quality of life of the people by creating more equitable distribution of resources is the dominant concern of Nepal today. In many parts of the world scientists are investing themselves in introducing public health interventions that can deal with the lifestyle. However, Nepal is facing three fold burdens of diseases (communicable, lifestyle related and poverty). In order to cope with this complex situation, development of public health graduates has become inescapable. Very few number of public health workers are working within Nepal or in the other countries. In general, a BPH graduates can choose following area to build the career:
- University (Education/Research)
- Health Organizations (Public/NGO/Private)
- Health related Consultancy Agencies
The 4-year program leading to Bachelor of Public Health degree consists of a total of fifty-two courses divided into six standards, namely Basic Health Sciences, Public Health Sciences, Public Health Intervention, Public Health Tools/Methods, Public Health Management, and Public Health Laboratory/Community Skill Development Courses.
- Introduction to Public Health-I
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Professional English
- Anatomy and Physiology Lab
- Biochemistry Lab
- Microbiology and Immunology Lab
- Professional English Practical
- Environmental Science
- First Aid
- First Aid Lab
- Nutritional Science
- Parasitology and Entomology
- Pharmacy, Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Environmental Science Lab
- Nutritional Science Lab
- Parasitology and Entomology Lab
- Pharmacy, Pharmacology and Toxicology Lab
- Communicable Diseases
- Environmental Health
- Non-communicable Diseases
- Public Health Nutrition
- Reproductive Health and Demography
- Integrated Concurrent Field Practice I
- Basic Epidemiology
- Introduction to Public Health-II
- Public Health Behavior and Anthropology
- Maternal, Child and Elderly Health
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Integrated Concurrent Field Practice II
- Basic Public Health Management
- Health Promotion and Education
- Epidemiological Methods and Management
- Public Health Sociology and Social Psychology
- Public Health Statistics-I
- Integrated Concurrent
- Field Practice III
- Community Health Diagnosis and Program Implementation Strategies
- Public Health Statistics-II
- Health System Management in Nepal-I
- Health Finance and Health Economics Including Entrepreneurship
- Health Education Communication
- Residential Field Practice (Community Health Diagnosis)
- Health Research Methodology
- Human Resource Development and Management
- Health Monitoring and Evaluation
- Health System Management in Nepal-II
- Residential Field Practice (Comprehensive Health Management)
- Disaster Management
- Public Health Policies, Laws and Acts
- Journal Club/Health Seminar
- Public Health Dissertation
Constituent Schools and affiliated Colleges
- School of Health and Allied Sciences
- CIST College
- LA GRANDE International College
- National Open College
- Nobel College
- Modern Technical College
- Syllabus for Bachelor in Public Health (BPH) Common Entrance Examination
- Sample Questions for MEC Common Entrance Examination
- 100 MCQs for Master of Public Health
- Primary Health Care & Nutrition MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Sociology MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Health Management and Health Economics MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Health Education MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Epidemiology MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Environmental & Occupational Health MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Demography MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Research Methodology & Bio-stat MCQs, Master of Public Health
- Bachelor of Public Health Program- Karnali Academy of Health Sciences
- Bachelor in Public Health (BPH) Programme- IOM, Tribhuvan University
- Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) colleges in Nepal
- Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) – Faculty of Medical and Allied Science, Purbanchal University
- Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) Program, Pokhara University