Section A- 20 Marks
- Development of Pharmacy and Drug Legislation in Nepal.
1.1 Pharmaceutical development in Nepal.
1.2 Pharmaceutical institution in Nepal.
1.3 Drug legislation in Nepal.
1.4 National Health Policy, National Drug Policy and their relation.
1.5 Role and Responsibility of Nepal Pharmacy Council
- Pharmaceutical analysis
2.1 Fundamental titrimetric analysis: Acid-base, Oxidation-reduction, Nonaqueous, Complexometric and potentiometric titrations; Ion selective electrodes.
2.2 Spectroscopic methods of analysis, Absorption, Visible, IR, UV spectroscopy, Fluorimetry, Polarimetry, Atomic absorption and Emission spectroscopy.
2.3 Gravimetric analytical methods and their applications.
2.4 Separation techniques: Column, Paper, Thin layer, Ion exchange, Gel and Gas chromatography; High Performance Liquid Chromatography, High Performance Thin Layer Chromatography, Electrophoreses, and Mass Spectrometry
2.5 Extraction and Importance of partition coefficient.
2.6 Principles and application of microbiological assay of antibiotics and vitamins.
2.7 Good Laboratory Practices, validation, references standards.
2.8 Statistical analysis, sampling technique, analysis of variance.
Section B- 20 Marks
3.1. Prescription, proper handling of prescription, incompatibilities.
3.2. Pharmaceutical dosage form: Fast, Immediate, Sustained/controlled release
including novel drug delivery system. e.g. mucosal drug delivery systems.
3.3. Manufacturing; Elements of Good Manufacturing Practice; WHO Certification Scheme on the Quality of Pharmaceutical Products Moving in International Commerce and its usefulness for quality assurance; packaging and stability of pharmaceutical products, costing of pharmaceutical formulation and prediction of maximum retail price.
3.4. Pharmaceutical additives.
3.5. Layout plan of pharmaceutical manufacturing plant including quality control, good manufacturing practice and safety measures in factories.
3.6. Physical pharmacy; application of thermodynamics; rate and order of reaction; accelerated stability testing and shelf-life of drugs; pH; buffered and isotonic solution; solution of electrolytes; micromeritics; colloidal system; theology.
3.7. Bioavailability and Bioequivalence studies.
- Microbiology and Immunology
4.1 Scope of microbiology with special reference to pharmaceutical sciences, basic principles of sterility and pyrogen testing
4.2 Microbial contamination test in pharmaceuticals, food, water and environment; classification of pathogenic microorganisms.
4.3 Methodology of sterilization.
4.4 Fundamental of Immunology, Testing of vaccines used in Extended Programme of Immunization.
4.5 Basic Principles of Biotechnology
Section C- 30 Marks
5.1 Medicinal herbs of Nepal: Origin, distribution, cultivation, drying, pulverization, storage, and quality control.
5.2 Plant analysis, types of plant constituents and physico-chemical standards.
5.3 Plant based drugs in modern medicine.
5.4 Extraction process and isolation of active ingredients, pilot plant processing.
6.1 Mechanism and action of drugs, their safety, uses and mode of administration.
6.2 Pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and pharmacological evaluation of drugs.
6.3 Poisoning: control and treatment.
6.4 Adverse drug reaction and drug interactions.
- Medicinal Chemistry
7.1 Characterization of organic compounds of pharmaceutical interest and specific reactions.
7.2 Synthesis of important pharmaceuticals, their pharmacological action and antimicrobial activities.
7.3 Structure Activity relationship of the drugs: Drug affecting Nervous system, NSAIDs, Cardiovascular drugs and Diuretics, Antimicrobial Drugs, Endocrinology and related drugs
Section D- 30 Marks
- Drug Act & Pharmacopoeia
8.1.1 DRUG ACT 2035
8.1.2 Drug Registration Regulation 2038
8.1.3 Drug Consultative Council and Drug Advisory Committee Regulation 2037
8.1.4 Drug Investigation and Inspection Rules 2040
8.1.5 Drug Standard Regulation 2043
8.1.6 Ausadi Utpatad Sahita 2041
8.1.7 Narcotic Drugs Control Act 2033
8.2 Pharmacopoeia; Pharmacopoeial standards and their needs; importance and application of pharmacopoeial specification.
- Pharmaceutical Care and Drug Supply Management
9.1 Comprehensive knowledge of clinical and hospital pharmacy; patient counseling and dosage adjustment in elderly, impaired liver and kidney; use of drug in neonates, children, pregnancy and lactation.
9.2 Logistics management (selection, procurement, storage and distribution).
9.3 Drug Financing Schemes (cost recovery, sharing and insurance).
9.4 Concept of Essential Drugs, National Formulary, Hospital Formulary and Drug & Therapeutics Committee.
9.5 Standard Treatment Schedules and rational use of drugs.
9.6 Role of Pharmacist in hospital and community.
9.7 Basic Principles of Pharmacoeconomics and Pharmaceutical Management.
Recommended reading materials
- National Health Policy-2019, Nepal
- Department of Health Services Annual Report- 2076/77 (2019/20)
- National Mental Health Survey, Nepal-2020 Fact Sheet
- Nepal Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey 2019 (NMICS 2019): Key findings
- National TB Prevalence Survey, 2018-19 Key findings
- Nepal STEPS Survey 2019- Province wise Fact Sheets
- Nepal National Micronutrient Status Survey 2016
- Key Indicators: The Nepal Demographic and Health Survey (1996 NDHS- 2016 NDHS)
- Key Findings (Nepali & English) – The 2016 Nepal Demographic and Health Survey (2016 NDHS)
- The 2016 Nepal Demographic and Health Survey (2016 NDHS)
- Key findings – The 2015 Nepal Health Facility Survey (2015 NHFS)
- National Climate Change Policy, 2076 (2019)
- National Oral Health Policy-2070, NEPAL
- Strategy for Skilled Health Personnel and Skilled Birth Attendants 2020-2025
- National Strategy for Reaching the Unreached 2016- 2030
- National Mental Health Strategy & Action Plan 2077
- National Adolescent Development and Health Strategy 2075
- National e-Health Strategy 2017, Ministry of Health and Population
- National Female Community Health Volunteer Program Strategy (First Revision 2076)
- Microplanning for immunization service delivery using the Reaching Every District (RED) strategy
- Nepal Health Sector Strategy(NHSS) Implementation Plan 2016-21
- NATIONAL HEALTH CARE WASTE MANAGEMENT: STANDARDS AND OPERATING PROCEDURES 2020
- GUIDANCE FOR LOCAL LEVEL AWPB (HEALTH AND POPULATION SECTOR)
- PROGRAM IMPLEMENTATION GUIDELINE FOR EXTENDED HOSPITAL SERVICE 2077
- GUIDELINE FOR PLANNING & BUDGET FORMULATION IN HEALTH SECTOR
- HIV STANDARD SERVICE PACKAGE (SSP) FOR KEY POPULATIONS
- NATIONAL MEDICAL STANDARD FOR MATERNAL AND NEWBORN CARE VOLUME III
- NEPAL SAFE MOTHERHOOD AND NEWBORN HEALTH ROAD MAP 2030
- NATIONAL HEALTH POLICY-2019, NEPAL
- GUIDELINE FOR INTEGRATED AMBULANCE AND PRE-HOSPITAL SERVICE OPERATION 2077
- TOR FOR PREPARATION OF DPR FOR CONSTRUCTION OF PRIMARY HOSPITALS
- GUIDELINE FOR COVID19 FACILITATION GROUP MOBILIZATION
- GUIDELINE FOR ISOLATION KIT DISTRIBUTION
- THE RIGHT TO SAFE MOTHERHOOD AND REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH REGULATION, 2020
- PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE REGULATION, 2077
- NATIONAL TESTING-GUIDELINES FOR COVID-19 (VERSION 5), NEPAL