The World Hand Hygiene Day aims to maintain global promotion, visibility and sustainability of hand hygiene in health care and to ‘bring people together’ in support of hand hygiene improvement around the world. The SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands global campaign was launched in 2009 and celebrated annually on 5 May.
Read More (Public Health Events)
Calls to action
- Health care workers: thank you for leading by example and encouraging others to clean their hands.
- IPC practitioners: thank you for engaging health workers to be part of new hand hygiene initiatives.
- Quality and safety leads: thank you for working with infection prevention colleagues to support hand hygiene improvement.
- Facility managers: thank you for promoting a quality and safety culture to ensure clean hands.
- Policy makers: thank you for prioritizing resources, training and programmes on hand hygiene.
- People who use health care: thank you for getting involved in local hand hygiene campaigns and activities.
Source of info: WHO
5 key actions
To speed up progress, governments should prioritize 5 key actions:
- Good governance through leadership, effective coordination and regulation, including clear policies on handwashing services and behaviours in all settings.
- Smart public finance to ensure maximum impact and stimulate investments from households and the private sector.
- Assessment of current capacity with respect to their hand hygiene policy and strategies, identification of gaps and development of capacity-building strategies based on the rigorous application of best practice.
- Governments should address the need for consistent data on hand hygiene in order to inform decision-making and make investments strategic.
- Governments and supporting agencies should encourage innovation, particularly on the part of the private sector, in order to roll out hand hygiene in all settings.
- World Hand Hygiene Day 2021! Seconds save lives–clean your hands!
- Global Handwashing Day 2020: Hand Hygiene for All
- Hand Hygiene Day! Nurses and midwives, clean care is in your hands!
- World Hand Hygiene Day!! SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands 5 May 2017 : ‘Fight antibiotic resistance – it’s in your hands’
- 5 moments for hand hygiene
- Global Handwashing Day 2021: Our Future is at Hand – Let’s Move Forward Together.
- Global Handwashing Day 2019: ”Clean Hands for All”
- Clean Your Hands ! ”Clean care for all – it’s in your hands”
- Global Handwashing Day 2018: Clean hands- a recipe for health
- ‘Our Hands, Our Future’ – Global Handwashing Day 2017