Institute for Population and Social Research, Mahidol University, Thailand IPSR offers a three-year Ph.D. program in Applied Demography and Social Research in a friendly and supportive learning environment. While keeping the strength of the institute in providing the essence of demography knowledge, the program accentuates and encourages its application to all other fields of study to gain better insights into and provide relevant recommendations for the 21st century.
The program’s academic schedule follows the two – semester system of Mahidol University. The first semester runs from August to December, and the second from January to May.
Plan 1 Research: Suitable for students with backgrounds in demography/population studies who already have earned a master’s degree and have published at least one research work in applied demography and social research/population studies. No coursework is required. Students prepare for and pass the qualifying examination and then undertake their dissertation.
Plan 2 Coursework & Research: Suitable for students with no background in demography who have a master’s degree in related fields. Students take prerequisite courses in demography and research methods as appropriate to their background. Then students take three core courses in applied demography and social research, and one elective course, pass the qualifying examination and complete their dissertation.
All students must successfully pass the qualifying examination before proceeding to dissertation.
Students with no background in demography or research methods are required to take prerequisite courses as appropriate:
- Substantive Demography
- Analytical Techniques of Demography
- Social Research Methodology
- Statistics for Social Analysis
- Demographic Materials and Methods
- Advanced Social Research Methodology
- Seminar in Applied Demography and Social Research
1.Advanced and applied demography
- Business Demography
- Economic Demography
- Family Demography
- Fertility and Reproductive Health Rights
- Migration and Social Implications
- Mortality and Morbidity
- Political Demography
- Population and Social Determinants of Health
- Social Demography
- Social Theories for Demography
2.Technique and methodology
- Advanced Analysis Techniques in Demography
- Advanced Demographic Projections
- Applied Multivariate Analysis for Demographic and Social Research
- Applied Regression Modeling for Panel Data Analysis
- Demographic Epidemiology
- Geographical Information System and Social Science Research
- Qualitative Research Methodology
3.Contemporary topics and issues
- Economics of Population Aging
- Older Persons in Cross-cultural Context
- Population Ageing, Society and Public Policy
- Population, Social Issues and Trends in ASEAN
- Social Research on the Elderly
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
- Be equipped with social science research skills and demographic techniques and be able to conduct research independently with high ethical standards and professional integrity
- Comprehend and apply key principles and demographic theories in population studies and social research
- Realize analytical and problem-solving skills on complex problems, and contemporary issues
- Develop critical perspectives to assess and analyze quantitative and qualitative data using up-to-date information technology
- Enhance creativity and leadership in the application of demographic and social research knowledge and techniques
- Communicate research findings and recommendations to the public and policy makers effectively with digital technology
|Requirements||Plan 1 (Research)||Plan 2|
|Previous degrees||Master’s degree in in demography/population studies with minimum GPA 3.5||Master’s degree in related field with minimum GPA 3.5|
|Background in demography/|
|Required||Desirable, but not required|
|A major advisor||Having been accepted by an IPSR faculty member||Not required|
|Publications||At least 1 research article published in peer-reviewed journal||Publications desirable,|
but not required
English proficiency and computer skills: TOEFL-IBT of 79 or IELTS of 6.0 (Students having lower scores are required to take English courses offered by Faculty of Graduate Studies)
Basic computer literacy is required.
Mahidol Postgraduate Scholarships for International Students.