Online Course: Long-term care facilities in the context of COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic affects older people disproportionately, especially those living in long-term care facilities (LTCF) with significant impact on mortality and morbidity. Concerted action is needed to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 by enhancing infection prevention and control (IPC) measures within LTCF. In many countries, long-term care facilities have weak IPC systems and training in place and staff lack the access to information on limiting transmission in the context of COVID-19. Strengthening IPC practice is crucial to prevent spread of COVID-19. The COVID-19 Infection Prevention and Control Communication Toolkit for Long-Term Care Facilities provides simple and actionable visuals for staff, residents and visitors with key IPC messages. The COVID-19 Preparedness Checklist is a tool consisting of several elements that are crucial for preparing LTCF for COVID-19. It can be used by facility administrators, IPC focal points or staff, internal or external professionals.
This course consists of 4 modules that address infection prevention and control measures to support LTCF in the context of COVID-19.
By the end of this course, participants should be able to:
- Describe infection prevention and control principles and practices relevant to long-term care facilities for patient and staff safety during COVID-19
- Apply the COVID-19 Long-term Care Facility Checklist to their place of work
- Identify practices to safely manage long-term care facility residents during COVID-19
- Understand how to support themselves and each other as staff of long-term care facilities during COVID-19
Course duration: Approximately 2 hours.
Certificates: A Record of Achievement will be available to participants who score at least 80% of the total points available across all of the quizzes.
- Module 1: COVID-19 Infection Prevention and Control Package for Long-Term Care Facilities:By the end of this module, you should be able to: describe how infectious diseases can be spread; explain how to prevent spread of infectious diseases; describe how COVID-19 is spread; explain how to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- Module 2: Performing the COVID-19 Preparedness Checklist for Long-Term Care Facilities:By the end of this module, you should be able to: understand the purpose of the preparedness checklist; describe the process for use the checklist; use the checklist in the long-term care facility; identify and prioritise items that need to be addressed
- Module 3: Caring for Residents of Long-Term Care Facilities during COVID-19:By the end of this module, you should be able to: understand how to manage the care of residents to prevent spread of COVID-19; understand how to manage the long-term care facility environment to prevent spread of COVID-19; describe how to prevent visitors spreading COVID-19 in long-term care facilities
- Module 4: Protection and Support of Staff of Long-Term Care Facilities during COVID-19:By the end of this module, you should be able to: describe how you can protect yourself in the workplace from COVID-19; identify how to protect yourself outside of the workplace; understand your options to cope with stress.
- Experts call for action on the commercial determinants of health and health equity
- WHO steps up the Director-General’s flagship initiative to combat tuberculosis
- New Horizons PhD Studentship: NCDs in Nepal
- University of Huddersfield Funded opportunities in Health Sciences and Healthcare Research
- Asia Pacific Leaders’ Conclave on Malaria Elimination 2023