Call for applications TDR Postgraduate Scholarship in Implementation Research Academic Year 2021/2022
The BRAC James P. Grant School of Public Health (BRAC JPGSPH) at BRAC University in Dhaka, Bangladesh, is pleased to announce a Call for Applications for the award of TDR Postgraduate Training Scholarships for one year Master of Public Health (MPH) 2021-22 Programme beginning in January 2021. Taught in English, the MPH Programme is a 12-month full-time programme which promotes problem-based experiential learning. The scholarship is supported by TDR, the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases, hosted by the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.
Candidates and residents in low- and middle income countries (LMICs) of WHO South-East Asia and Western Pacific Regions are eligible to apply. The training will focus on courses relevant to a career in implementation research, which is a growing field that supports the identification of health system bottlenecks and approaches to addressing them. It is particularly useful in low- and middle- income countries (LMICs) where many health interventions do not reach those who could be benefitted from them. The goal of this scheme is to enhance graduate training capacity and boost the number and quality of researchers in LMICs. Further information on implementation research is available from: http://adphealth.org/irtoolkit/ A limited number of scholarships will be offered to both national and international candidates for the 2021/2022 academic year on the Master Programme in Public Health.
The scholarship recipients will conduct their Thesis/Summative Learning Project (SLP) on implementation research on infectious diseases of poverty, including neglected tropical diseases, malaria and tuberculosis, in Bangladesh. Recipients will be enrolled as postgraduate students.
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP
The candidate must be eligible for both MPH Programme and TDR Scholarship. After online application, if the applicant successfully fulfils the requirements of the MPH Programme (the written and oral tests), the applicant will be invited to interview for the TDR Scholarship.
The applicants must meet BRAC University post-graduation admission criteria.
- Meet standard minimum University requirements for international postgraduate students at https://www.bracu.ac.bd/admissions/postgraduate:
Minimum CGPA 3 out of 4 for Bachelor’s Degree o Minimum GPA of 3 in O-Levels in five subjects and A-Levels in two subjects or equivalent as per BRAC University scale
- 2 – 3 years of professional public health experience Preferred o Proficiency in oral and written English and basic Mathematics
- Basic Computer skills including Microsoft Office and Data Analysis Software.
- Have a 4-Year Bachelor’s Degree or 3 Years Bachelor plus 1-Year Master’s/Postgraduate Diploma Degree in Medicine, Anthropology, Social Science or Public Health;
- Be nationals of and residents in low- and middle-income countries (as defined by the World Bank) of WHO South-East Asia and Western Pacific Regions;
- Be under 35 years of age at the time of application for the Master’s programme;
- Be interested in developing a career in implementation research on infectious diseases of poverty, including neglected tropical diseases, malaria and tuberculosis;
- Submit a statement of purpose on the reason for pursuing a career in infectious diseases of poverty;
- Priority will be given to the applicant with 1-2 years of professional public health experience in infectious diseases of poverty, including neglected tropical diseases, malaria and tuberculosis. Women are encouraged to apply.
- Candidates from less privileged areas or groups, or with disabilities, are encouraged to apply.
THE SCHOLARSHIP PACKAGE
- One return economy airfare between the home country of the student and Bangladesh
- Tuition and academic fees
- Basic medical and accident insurance
- Monthly stipend to cover living expenses including accommodation equivalent to local living cost
- Support for Thesis/Summative Learning Project (SLP) expenses during data collection
APPLYING FOR THE TDR POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME AT BRAC UNIVERSITY
To apply for a TDR Postgraduate Scholarship, you must complete the following two steps:
Step 1: Apply for Master Programme Students must submit their online applications for MPH Programme at BRAC JPGSPH at http://bracjpgsph.org/index.php/mph/admission/forms or http://admissions.bracu.ac.bd/academia/admissionProcess/listAvailablePublishedCircularForAdmission
Step 2.: Complete the TDR postgraduate scholarship application form and email this form to: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com.
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS
The candidate will be required to apply online for both MPH Programme and TDR scholarship form. After the online application is successfully completed, the application will be reviewed based on MPH programme requirements. Once the MPH programme requirements are met, candidates will be contacted for assessment through written test and viva. The written test and viva can take place in country conducted by panel of experts.
Due to COVID-19 pandemic situation, the assessment can be done online. Candidate’s qualifications will be reviewed on the basis of TDR Scholarship requirements. If the candidate successfully fulfils the TDR Scholarship requirements, he or she will be invited to participate in a TDR scholarship specific interview by BRAC JPGSPH.
The final approval of this scholarship and placement of students will depend on the situation of COVID-19 in the WHO South-East Asia and Western Pacific Regions. Finally, the selected students will be required to confirm acceptance of the offer by submitting a Statement of Undertaking and a Fitness Certificate as per the regulation of BRAC University.
The application deadline is 15 September 2020. However, the selection and placement of candidates will depend on COVID-19 pandemic situation in the WHO South-East Asia and Western Pacific regions.
For more information on the scheme at BRAC JPGSPH, please contact:
- Fauzul Kabir, Assistant MPH Coordinator, Master of Public Health Programme, BRAC James P. Grant School of Public Health Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +880-2-9827501 – 4 Extension – 6034
- Md. Koushik Ahmed Deputy Director Master of Public Health Programme & Coordinator, WHO TDR Postgraduate Training Scheme on Implementation Research BRAC James P. Grant School of Public Health Email: email@example.com Phone: +880-2-9827501 – 4 Extension – 6015