Shortage of personal protective equipment endangering health workers worldwide
Healthcare workers rely on personal protective equipment to protect themselves and their patients from being infected and infecting others.
But shortages are leaving doctors, nurses and other frontline workers dangerously ill-equipped to care for COVID-19 patients, due to limited access to supplies such as gloves, medical masks, respirators, goggles, face shields, gowns, and aprons.
“Without secure supply chains, the risk to healthcare workers around the world is real. Industry and governments must act quickly to boost supply, ease export restrictions and put measures in place to stop speculation and hoarding. We can’t stop COVID-19 without protecting health workers first,” said WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
Since the start of the COVID-19 outbreak, prices have surged. Surgical masks have seen a sixfold increase, N95 respirators have trebled and gowns have doubled.
Supplies can take months to deliver and market manipulation is widespread, with stocks frequently sold to the highest bidder.
WHO has so far shipped nearly half a million sets of personal protective equipment to 47 countries,* but supplies are rapidly depleting.
Based on WHO modelling, an estimated 89 million medical masks are required for the COVID-19 response each month. For examination gloves, that figure goes up to 76 million, while international demand for goggles stands at 1.6 million per month.
Recent WHO guidance calls for the rational and appropriate use of PPE in healthcare settings, and the effective management of supply chains.
WHO is working with governments, industry and the Pandemic Supply Chain Network to boost production and secure allocations for critically affected and at-risk countries.
To meet rising global demand, WHO estimates that industry must increase manufacturing by 40 per cent.
Governments should develop incentives for industry to ramp up production. This includes easing restrictions on the export and distribution of personal protective equipment and other medical supplies.
Every day, WHO is providing guidance, supporting secure supply chains, and delivering critical equipment to countries in need.
- Vacancy announcement for Public Health Officer, Nursing Officer, HA, Pharmacy Assistant, AHW, ANM & Lab Assistant March 6, 2020
- Disability and Inclusion Advisor- The International Committee of the Red Cross March 5, 2020
- The First Global Health Literacy Summit 2020, Kaohsiung, Taiwan March 5, 2020
- World Obesity Day: The Roots of Obesity Run Deep March 4, 2020
- WHO emphasizes on agile response capacities, as South-East Asia Region confirms more COVID-19 cases March 4, 2020
- Operational Planning Guidelines and COVID-19 Partners Platform to support country preparedness and response March 4, 2020
- Vacancy announcement: MDGP, MO, HA, Staff Nurse, Pharmacy Assistant, AHW, ANM and Lab. Assistant March 3, 2020
- Strengthen health systems to prevent, detect and treat birth defects March 3, 2020
- Young Health Programme (YHP) Scholarship 2020, Munich, Germany March 3, 2020
- World Hearing Day 2020! Hearing for life: don’t let hearing loss limit you March 3, 2020
- The 2020 Fulbright Foreign Student Program for Master’s level study in U.S.A. March 3, 2020
- Palika Coordinator – CEHP Nepal Red Cross Society March 2, 2020
- Programme Associate (Field Coordinator)- World Food Programme March 2, 2020
- Program Officer, Medical Officer and Staff Nurse- Nick Simons Institute March 1, 2020
- Program Officer- Clinical Mentor- One Heart Worldwide (OHW) February 28, 2020
- Research/Project Coordinator- Transcultural Psychosocial Organization Nepal February 28, 2020
- WHO launches a digital version of its Model list of Essential Medicines (EML) February 28, 2020
- WHO announces forthcoming changes for the programmatic management of TB preventive treatment February 28, 2020
- Getting your workplace ready for COVID-19 February 27, 2020
- Vacancy announcement for National Consultant for end-term evaluation- YUWA February 27, 2020
- Vacancy: Coordinator (Gender Justice and Access to Basic Services)-CARE Nepal February 26, 2020
- Vacancy Announcement for Various Positions – NIDR February 26, 2020
- Vacancy announcement for District Program Coordinator-Birat Nepal Medical Trust February 26, 2020
- Health Expert- Jhalnath Khanal Institute of Health Sciences February 23, 2020
- Sr. Research and Evaluation Specialist – CARE Nepal February 23, 2020
- Program Specialist-Health Services, Suaahara II-Short Term Position Based In Kathmandu February 23, 2020
- Chief of Party,Technical Advisors, SBCC Advisor- FHI 360 February 23, 2020
- Project Coordinator, M&E Associate, In-Reach Worker, Laboratory Assistant- NAP+N February 22, 2020
- Vision Screening March Month 2020 February 22, 2020
- Vacancy Announcement for Various Positions February 22, 2020