In 2023, the East-West Center will host a six-week, US-funded Pacific leadership development program that will include a residency in Hawai’i and a field immersion in Washington DC. This program will provide individuals from a Pacific Islands Conference of Leaders (PICL)-member country/territory/State of Hawai’i the opportunity to enhance their leadership capacities and build a network with other leaders from across the Pacific and the US. Participants will engage in experiential learning exercises in a cohort of 25 early to mid-career professionals from all sectors. RPIL attracts participants possessing high leadership potential and a commitment to serve their national and regional development goals. The program strengthens participants’ knowledge and understanding of key regional economic, social, political, health, educational and environmental issues, and cultivates culturally sustaining leadership capacities.
Dates: June 19 – July 28, 2023
- Citizen and bona fide resident* of a PICL member country/territory/State of Hawai’i: American Samoa, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Hawai’i, Kiribati, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Republic of Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu.
*You are a bona fide resident of a PICL member country/territory/State of Hawai’i if you have resided there for a minimum of 5 years preceding acceptance into the fellowship.
- Bachelor’s degree. Exceptions may be considered on the basis of other relevant experience and qualifications.
- The program is aimed at early- to mid-career professionals, spanning the ages of approximately 21-35.
- A minimum of 3 years demonstrated impact in your professional career and/or local community.
Application deadline: March 17
Reference deadline: March 24
East-West Center is providing the following provisions:
- Roundtrip airfare between home country and Honolulu, Hawai’i
- Roundtrip airfare between Honolulu, Hawai’i and Washington, DC
- Ground transportation and airport transfers in Honolulu and Washington, DC
- Lodging in an EWC housing facility in Honolulu and hotel accommodations in Washington, DC
- Living stipend during the program
- Health insurance
- Course materials
- SEVIS and visa application fees (if applicable)
Contact us at RPIL@eastwestcenter.org with any questions.