Health Sector Response to Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) [Key National Response??]
Tuesday | 13 Magh 2076 (28 January 2020)
On 31 December 2019, WHO was alerted to several cases of pneumonia in Wuhan City, Hubei Province of China. The virus did not match any other known virus.
This raised concern as no one knew how the new virus will affect the people.
Current status on 2019-nCoV, Nepal
Nepalese Citizen from Wuhan City returned on 9 January 2020 and visited Shahid Shukraj Tropical and Infectious Disease Hospital on 13 January 2020. The throat swab was taken and sent for confirmatory diagnosis to WHO designated laboratory in Hong Kong.
National Public Health Laboratory (NPHL) was communicated about the positive test result for 2019- nCoV on 23 January 2020.
Person under investigation: 4
Result awaiting: 1
Confirm Case: 1
Result -Ve: 2
Key National Response
- All hub hospitals and key satellite hospitals have been asked to identify a dedicated space with isolation facilities for 2019-nCoV case
- Technical documents tailored for Ministry of Health and Population for the investigation and containment of 2019-nCoV
- Thermal scanner installed and functional at Tribhuvan International Airport.
- NPHL capacitated for laboratory confirmatory diagnosis of 2019-nCoV from 27 January 2020
- Dedicated ambulance available at Tribhuvan International Airport for 2019-nCoV for safe transfer of cases to designated hospitals
- Personal Protective Equipment is prepositioned to different places
- IEC materials developed and disseminated in close coordination
- Prime Minister’s Office and Ministry of Home Affairs debriefed regularly
- Key hospitals in Kathmandu capacitated on collection and safe transfer of laboratory samples to National Public Health Laboratory for laboratory confirmatory diagnosis
- Video conference with Provincial Health Emergency Operation Center undertaken for verification of readiness status; appropriate guidance provided for immediate actions
Source of information: SitRep #1 DOWNLOAD FULL REPORT
Web: heoc.mohp.gov.np, fb: fb.com/HEOC
Web: edcd.gov.np, fb: fb.com/edcdnepal
- Updated WHO advice for international traffic in relation to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV
- Nepal confirms first case of new coronavirus
- Statement on the meeting of the International Health Regulations (2005) Emergency Committee regarding the outbreak of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
- Novel #Coronavirus (2019- #nCoV): Advice for the Public
- Infection prevention and control during health care when novel coronavirus (nCoV) infection is suspected
- WHO advice for international travel and trade in relation to the outbreak of pneumonia caused by a new coronavirus in China