- a mechanism for hospital inpatient-ward-based case detection,
- laboratories for identifying and characterizing microbes,
- information systems, and
- response (information feedback and mobilization of investigative and control efforts).
- to develop a comprehensive, computerized database of infectious diseases of public health importance
- to monitor and describe trends of infectious diseases through a sentinel surveillance network of hospitals followed by public health action and research
- to receive early warning signals of diseases under surveillance and to detect outbreaks
- to instigate a concerted approach to outbreak preparedness, investigation and response
- to disseminate data/information on infectious diseases through an appropriate feedback system.