World Mental Health Day 2019: A day for ”40 seconds of action”
World Mental Health Day is observed on 10 October every year. The overall objective of World Mental Health Day is to raise awareness of mental health issues around the world and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health. World Mental Health Day provides an opportunity for all stakeholders working on mental health issues to talk about their work, and what more needs to be done to make mental health care a reality for people worldwide.
Develop and implement strategies to prevent suicide and promote mental health–Dr. Poonam Khetrapal Singh, WHO Regional Director for South-East Asia
Theme for 2019
Reports shows that in every 40 seconds, someone loses their life to suicide. So, This year World Mental Health Day is focused on suicide prevention. New campaign“40 seconds of action” is initiated to raise awareness of the scale of suicide around the world and the role that each of us can play to help prevent it.
“40 seconds of action” helps to;
- Improve awareness of the significance of suicide as a global public health problem
- Improve knowledge of what can be done to prevent suicide
- Reduce the stigma associated with suicide
- and let people who are struggling know that they are not alone.
Key facts and figures
- One person dies by suicide every 40 seconds.
- A prior suicide attempt is an important risk factor for suicide.
- Suicides are preventable.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15-29 year-olds.
- Suicide affects people of all age groups in all countries.