London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine invites applications from eligible students for the LSHTM Fund Scholarship 2023-24.
These scholarships have been made possible by donors to the LSHTM Fund. Supported by hundreds of alumni and friends, the LSHTM Fund provides scholarships for the next generation of global health leaders. This year’s two scholarships are intended to support excellent candidates who would be unable to take up a place of study without this financial support.
Two LSHTM Fund Scholarships are available for 2023-24. The scholarship award comprises
- 2023-24 tuition fees (at the overseas fee rate), including any mandatory field trip fees, and
- a tax-free stipend (living allowance) of GBP 19,500.00
This scholarship is open to applicants intending to study on a one-year, full-time, London-based MSc programme at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) in 2023-24.
To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- be nationals of, and resident in, low to middle income countries (as defined by the World Bank);
- intend to return to a low to middle income country on completion of their MSc year at LSHTM;
- confirm in writing that they would not otherwise be able to pay for the proposed programme of study;
- meet LSHTM’s minimum English language requirements (as required by LSHTM’s Admissions system);
- a first or upper second-class honours undergraduate degree of a UK university, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard;
- hold an offer of admission for 2023-24 for one of LSHTM’s 19 London-based (intensive) MSc programmes of study.
The selection panel awarding this highly competitive scholarship will consider applicants’ experience, qualifications and potential, looking for those with the greatest potential to accelerate in their career and make significant contributions to public and global health, and/or health-related research in a low- to middle income country (following a year’s study at LSHTM).
How to apply
The application process has two steps. To be considered for the funding, applicants must meet all eligibility criteria and complete both steps outlined below by the scholarship deadline of 23:59 (GMT) on Wednesday 1 March 2023.
Step 1: Submit an application for 2023-24 for an eligible MSc programme of study, by following the instructions under the ‘How to Apply’ tab on the relevant programme of study page. Applicants should ensure that all necessary supplementary admissions documents (including references) are submitted by the scholarship deadline.
Step 2: Submit an online scholarships application, selecting this scholarship option ‘2023-24 LSHTM Fund Scholarship’ from the drop-down menu. A completed Supplementary Questions Form for this scholarship must be uploaded as part of this application. This is the only attachment required in Step 2 (as applicants should already have uploaded references, a CV, passport, transcripts etc with their admissions application).
- Applicants are advised to complete Step 1 early to allow time for their GBP 50.00 LSHTM admissions application fee payment to be processed. Until the payment is processed applicants will be unable to submit an application for study or an application for the scholarship. We would therefore recommend that applicants for this funding complete and submit their application for study at least 1-2 weeks before the scholarships deadline to ensure that there are no Admissions or payment processing delays which could impact on meeting the scholarship deadline.
- Applicants who have already submitted a completed 2023-24 London-based MSc application and/or have been made an Offer of Admission should apply for the scholarship by completing the scholarship application (Step 2 above) and submitting this by the scholarship deadline.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for this funding. Incomplete applications include those with missing supplementary documentation at either Steps 1 or 2 above. Both the application to study and the scholarship application must be complete by the scholarship deadline.
- This scholarship is open to applicants for any of the 19 intensive Masters programmes offered by LSHTM (including our joint programmes: MSc Global Mental Health; MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing; MSc One Health: ecosystems, humans and animals; MSc Veterinary Epidemiology). Please note that for the following programmes you will be directed to the joint provider to complete your application to study as LSHTM does not administer the admissions for these courses: MSc Global Mental Health; MSc One Health; MSc Veterinary Epidemiology.
- Applicants whose application for study is successful will be asked to pay a deposit within 28 days of the offer of admission being sent. Applicants applying for scholarships at LSHTM must email the Admissions Team to advise that they are awaiting the scholarship outcome (applicants must provide the Admissions team with both the name of the scholarship and the expected decision date in this email). This must be repeated for every application for which the applicant has applied. The Admissions team will then extend the deposit deadline to match the decision deadline of the scholarship funding.
- Applicants who encounter any technical difficulties whilst using the online scholarships application form should, in the first instance, try clearing their browser cache and ensuring that they are using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. If this does not fix the technical issue, please contact LSHTM’s IT Services team, providing the full name of the applicant; the scholarship that is being applied for; and the technical issue that has been encountered. Please also attach a screen shot where possible: email@example.com.
- For any queries about the application process, scholarship requirements or application deadline, please contact the LSHTM Scholarships team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By applying for this funding applicants agree to its terms and conditions.
- Please note that all applications will only be reviewed and processed after the deadline. All applications that are submitted before the deadline will be considered equally, regardless of submission date.
- Decisions are expected to be reached, and the successful applicants notified, by 26 May 2023.