The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Global Health Institute of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences (in collaboration with the Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp) is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder in the field of epidemiology and public/global health to stop the burden of disease caused by onchocerciasis-associated epilepsy.
- You will work actively on the preparation of a PhD thesis to stop the burden of disease caused by onchocerciasis-associated epilepsy.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You hold a Master degree in epidemiology, medical science or public/global health you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results. Good knowledge of epidemiology and statistics.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You are able and willing to work for short periods of time in Africa and to work in remote places.
- You have a thorough knowledge of English and good knowledge of French.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of 2 years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for another 1 or 2 years.
- The planned start date is in February 2022 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do your work in a multidisciplinary international team that includes researchers from the University of Antwerp, the Institute of Tropical Medicine and Africa.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 31 January 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof Robert (Bob) Colebunders, firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.