The Orange Knowledge Programme aims to contribute to a society’s sustainable and inclusive development. Its scholarships are open to mid-career professionals in specific countries.
About this scholarship
The Orange Knowledge Programme (OKP) offers scholarships funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs available for a selection of:
- short courses (duration 2 weeks to 12 months);
- master’s programmes (duration 12 to 24 months).
You may be eligible for an OKP scholarship if you are a national of and working in:
Bangladesh, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Colombia, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Liberia, Mali, Mozambique, Myanmar, Niger, Nigeria, Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Vietnam, Yemen and Zambia.
Applicants for master’s programmes from Indonesia should apply through the OKP-LPDP joint programme.
A limited number of scholarships is awarded to female and male professionals who are:
- living and working in an OKP country;
- proficient in English or French;
- working in one of the priority areas for their country;
- can motivate using and transferring their knowledge and experience in their employing organisation after their studies;
- agreeing to the OKP obligations and conditions (133.9 kB).
For more information on the general eligibility criteria please read:
OKP information for applicants (168.8 kB) (168.8 kB)
You need English or French language skills to follow classes in the Netherlands. Demands for certificates showing language skills differ per education institution.
Priority themes per country
The main priority areas of the Orange Knowledge Programme are;
- sexual and reproductive health and rights
- security and rule of law
- food and nutrition security
- water management
There are focus areas for each country. Please note that these focus areas, as well as the list of countries is subject to change. Only applications that fall within the focus area of your country of employment are eligible.
Is your field of experience eligible for funding? Please check the Country focus document.
You need an employer statement that is signed by you and your employer. It shows us that your employer supports your application. And that you can share the knowledge and experience you gained in the Netherlands once you return to your country. This is required because the OKP is focused onstrengthening organisations by strengthening people.
If you are a civil servant, it might be necessary to sign a government statement. This certifies the support of your government for your OKP application.
Please check whether your local government requires a government statement:
Government statement requirements
The education institution will inform you on the requirements needed for your application. As this scholarship is for working professionals, applications from students will not be taken into consideration. In order to apply for one of the courses you must motivate:
- that you work within the priority themes for your country as mentioned above;
- how the courses will strengthen both you and the organisation you work for;
- how you will use your newly gained knowledge and experience in your organisation after your study.
How to apply
You cannot apply online on this website. Please follow the steps below and apply through the Dutch education institution of your choice.
- Check if your application falls within the OKP focus areas determined for your country.
- Check if you meet the OKP eligibility criteria.
- Find a course on the OKP course list. Please find a study, using the filter ‘Orange Knowledge Programme (OKP)’.
- Ask your employer whether they are willing to nominate you for an OKP scholarship.
- Contact the Dutch education institution of your choice to receive more information about the application procedure, the academic requirements and the link to apply online.
- Prepare your application: employer statement, motivation, passport, government statement (if required).
- During an application round, submit your application online using the link you receive from the Dutch education institution. Please be aware of the application deadline of the educational institution of your choice.
Deadlines of application rounds
You can only apply for a scholarship during an open application round.
The following rounds are expected for 2022:
Round 1 – for master’s and short courses
– Accepting applications between 2 February – 22 March 16.00 CET.
– Both master’s and short courses should start between 25 July and 21 November 2022.
Round 2 – for short courses
– Accepting applications between 11 May – 28 June 16.00 CET.
– Courses should start between 21 November 2022 and 20 February 2023.
Round 3 – for short courses
– Accepting applications between 31 August – 11 October 16.00 CET.
– Courses should start from 20 February 2023 onward and must be completed before 31 August 2023.
Deadlines per institution
Please note that educational institutions may set a shorter deadline for application. Please consult your educational institution for the exact deadlines.
The procedure is as follows:
1. Candidates register with their Dutch education institution
2. Dutch institution nominates candidates and submits grant application
3. Embassies check eligibility and assess applications
4. Selection results available for Dutch education institutions
5. Grants awarded through Dutch education institutions
Results of applications are announced 3 to 4 months after application. The Dutch education institution through which you applied for the scholarship will contact you on the results of your application.
Please contact the Dutch education institution where you want to study on questions regarding your application for the OKP scholarship. A new application round for #OrangeKnowledge scholarships will open on 31 August!
Are you from a participating country and motivated to share your knowledge? Maybe you have a chance to be selected for a fully funded short course in the Netherlands! Discover which countries and fields of expertise are eliglible at www.studyinholland.nl/okp