Purpose of the APW
WHO seeks a qualified supplier with expert knowledge of abortion care monitoring and evaluation, to support the finalization of the WHO Abortion Care Guideline Monitoring and Evaluation framework text and supporting materials, including Abortion Care Monitoring and Evaluation Conceptual Framework, Indicator library with metadata, and Support for country-specific abortion care monitoring and evaluation. The APW is proposed for a duration from 27 March 2023 to 15 December 2023.
The World Health Organization’s Department of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Research (SRH) includes the UNDP-UNFPA-UNICEF-WHO-World Bank Special Programme of Research, Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction (HRP). Located in Geneva, HRP is the main instrument within the United Nations system for identifying research priorities on sexual and reproductive health and rights; for promoting, conducting, evaluating and coordinating related interdisciplinary research; for collaborating with countries to build national capacity to conduct research; and for promoting the use of research results in policy making and sexual and reproductive health programmes. The Department draws on research and global expertise to set norms and standards and develop global guidelines on sexual and reproductive health and rights. More information about SRH and HRP.
The Prevention of Unsafe Abortion Unit (PUA) is responsible for research and development, innovation, evidence synthesis, development of guidance and implementation tools, provision of specialized technical support, and dissemination of information on evidence-based practices on prevention of unsafe abortion, including safe and quality abortion services and post-abortion care.
WHO/HRP is currently developing the Abortion Care Guideline Monitoring and Evaluation framework and indicators, a derivative product of the new Abortion Care Guideline (2022), to update the Monitoring, Evaluation and Quality Improvement Guidance from the Safe Abortion: Technical and Policy Guidance (2012).
In addition to aligning with the Abortion Care Guideline, updated Abortion Care Guideline Monitoring and Evaluation materials will align with the WHO and UNICEF Primary Health Care Measurement Framework and Indicators (2022). The M&E guidance will build on HRP’s existing abortion M&E portfolio.
Work to be performed
- Prepare Abortion Care Guideline Monitoring and Evaluation framework and supporting materials for initial and final expert review on-line meetings
- Prepare Abortion Care Guideline Monitoring and Evaluation framework and supporting materials for final expert document review
- Finalize Abortion Care Guideline Monitoring and Evaluation framework and supporting materials by responding to expert comments and recommendations
- Support organization and implementation of expert review meetings and expert document review
- Finalized WHO Abortion Care Guideline Monitoring and Evaluation framework text and supporting materials for publication
- Qualification in public health, demography, epidemiology, social sciences, or related field.
- Extensive experience in sexual and reproductive health, specifically abortion, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience monitoring and evaluation abortion programs in low- and/or middle-income countries, including development of monitoring and evaluation plans, implementing evaluation activities, analysing and reporting monitoring and evaluation data;
- Experience in qualitative and quantitative indicator development, testing and implementation,
- Experience in metadata development, including indicator-specific instructions for data analysis and output
- Familiarity with WHO tools and guidelines on abortion care.
- Demonstrated skills in coordinating with multiple stakeholders in an international environment;
- Being adept at working in a fast-paced environment, working with multiple teams
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English; knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable
- Strong planning and organizational capability, demonstrated ability to manage converging priorities and deliver high-quality products under tight deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with counterparts, and with the international constituency with which the project relates.
Place of assignment
Support will be provided remotely at a location at the discretion of the service provider.
No travel is expected.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and CV by 15 March 2023 to: email@example.com.
Applications received after this date will not be accepted. In the email subject line, please put “Abortion Care Guideline Monitoring and Evaluation Framework and Indicators”. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Deadline for application: 15 March 2023 at 18:00 Geneva Switzerland time (CET)