Bogor Declaration on Tobacco Control and NCDs Prevention #APCAT2019
The 4th Summit of Asia Pacific Cities Alliance for Tobacco Control and Non-communicable Diseases Prevention 2019 (APCAT2019) has concluded with 12 pointed Declaration on Tobacco Control. The participants recognized the catastrophic health, economic, environment and social consequences of tobacco use and burden of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which is threatening to derail progress on the UN sustainable development goals and yet is majorly preventable. APCAT2019 participants are committed to accelerate progress towards eventually ending tobacco, as well as preventing the avoidable burden of NCDs and thereby avert untimely deaths by;
- Making effective implementation and enforcement of 100 percent smoke-free policies in cities and districts ensuring more than 90 percent compliance in public and workplaces.
- Advocating to national governments and policy makers to raise taxes and prices on tobacco products, alcohol, sugary and sweetened and beverages.
- Enforcing ban on tobacco advertising, promotion, and sponsorship, including ban on display of tobacco products at point-of-sale.
- Urging national government to ban electronic cigarettes, heated tobacco products, shisha and other emerging tobacco products.
- Committing to find local resources for monitoring and research of tobacco use and NCDs, and scientifically documenting evidence of cost savings, public health gains and other benefits of effective tobacco control and prevention of NCDs. The secretariat of APCAT will facilitate the cities by establishing a technical expert team.
- Committing to ban sugary and sweetened beverages in at least all government offices, educational, health and childcare facilities other places wherever possible.
- Establishing a provision of licensing for sale of tobacco products, alcohol, sugary and sweetened beverage to restrict access.
- Committing to ban tobacco industry’s interferences and lobbying.
- Committing to foster partnership with bilateral, multilateral organisations, professional organisations and media
- Committing to contribute annual membership fees to the APCAT secretariat.
- Supporting members of the parliament and media to build regional alliances on tobacco control and prevention of NCDs
- Committing to end tobacco, prevent the avoidable burden of NCDs and thereby avert untimely deaths.
5th Summit of Asia Pacific Cities Alliance for Tobacco Control and NCDs Prevention #APCAT2020 will be held in Bharatpur Metropolitan City, Chitwan, Nepal.
Welcome to all delegates, participants and organizing committee in Nepal.
READ TOBACCO RELATED UPDATES;