NEPAL: COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project Preliminary Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP)
The outbreak of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is spreading rapidly across the world since December 2019. As of March 21, 2020, surveillance by the World Health Organization (WHO) indicates that a total of 266073 clinically-confirmed cases in 172 countries and territories and one international conveyance (the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship) have been recorded with 11184 deaths.Based on the scale of transmission, WHO declared the virus a global pandemic, with a call on countries to take proactive measures to prevent and/or respond to further outbreak.
As of March 29, 2020, Nepal has recorded five confirmed cases of the disease.Despite this, the Government of Nepal (GoN) recognizes that transmission rates in the country could increase markedly if adequate measures are not put in place.
In responding to the pandemic, the GoN has requested funding from IDA to implement the Nepal: COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project.
The project development objective is to respond to and mitigate the threat posed by COVID-19 and strengthen critical health infrastructure and systems for public health preparedness in Nepal.
It will achieve this objective by
- providing emergency COVID-19 response for better case detection, confirmation, contact tracing, recording, and reporting;
- strengthen the critical hospital and laboratory infrastructure necessary for COVID-19 response and as well as other public health emergencies; and
- strengthen coordination, project implementation capacity, and monitoring.
The Project comprises the following components:
- Component 1: Emergency COVID-19 Response.
Subcomponent 1.1: Case Detection, Confirmation, Contact Tracing, Recording, Reporting
Subcomponent 1.2: Health System Strengthening.
- Component 2: Community Engagement and Risk Communication.
- Component 3: Implementation Management and Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Component 4: Contingency Emergency Response Component (CERC).