- Job ID 94413
Position: Program Manager-Nepal (Re-Advertisement)
Program Department – EuroAsia Unit/ Nepal
- Program design and management
- Representation and Coordination with authorities and relevant stakeholders
- Advocacy and Communication
- Reporting, monitoring, and evaluation
- Other duties as per need.
The post holder will perform her / his tasks and responsibilities under the supervision of the General Coordinator. She/He proactively ensuring the program development/support in conducting exploratory activities according to MdM guidelines and values. The Program Manager ensures the consistency and quality of all activities carried out by the implementing partners with MdM support through constant coordination and communication with all involved bodies. S/he ensures the consistency and quality of the data collection and reporting process and contributes to the visibility and valorisation of the program and its achievements.
I. Essential duties -Kathmandu site:
- To coordinate overall programmatic aspects of MdM programme in Kathmandu
- To supervise, monitor, analyse and evaluate MdM project-KTM outcomes.
- To ensure quality of the programme through regular technical supervision and support to project teams in the implementation.
- To manage programme technical personnel providing sufficient support
- To contribute to programmes strategic plans and reviews in line with MdM policies and priorities.
- To support the development of new programmes and follow up on innovative approaches.
- To represent the organisation to relevant external stakeholders
- To contribute to regular internal and external reports
II. Responsibilities in detail:
1. Program design and management
- Develop the project(s) reference documents according to MdM standards and contribute to the development of agreement documents in coordination with Medical Co/ Empowerment Advisor/ M& E InCharge, GenCo and Admin/Finance team
- Monitor the context and propose adjustments in all reference documents, plans, and schedule according to any relevant changes of Kathmandu site.
- Prepare annual, quarterly, and monthly plans and Standard Operational Procedures/Detail Implementation Plan for execution of the project activities in accordance with the program logical framework and global Gantt chart of Kathmandu.
- Ensure effective and efficient program implementation, quality delivery of the program activities -including advocacy, by partners and MdM team, in accordance with MdM guidelines and policy, and with National policies.
- Identify needs for technical assistance to local partners and coordinate capacity strengthening activities, including trainings, for local partners in Kathmandu.
- Contribute and coordinate with local partner to recruit and develop the overall project team, motivate them constantly and develop synergy at project level, if needed.
- Ensure that objectives and targets are achieved in a timely manner and that activities are carried out according to MdM standards.
- Manage budget and forecast expenditure with support of Admin/ Finance team according to planning of activities.
- Coordinate with local implementing partners, MdM support team, beneficiaries, and different bodies, propose and facilitate periodic operational meetings and periodic steering committees.
- Perform regular field visits to ensure the quality of the project implementation.
- Contribute to program proposals for grant applications as if needed.
2. Representation and Coordination with authorities and relevant stakeholders
- Coordinate with authorities, relevant agencies and external partners depending on the project development and needs
- Participate in local authorities’ meetings and any other relevant meetings at the regional, national, and provincial levels, representing MdM when necessary, together with MdM team when relevant
- Prepare and disseminate operational meetings minutes, steering committees
- Represent MdM and the partners consortium and participate in relevant events, platforms, and forums to increase program visibility
3. Advocacy and Communication
- Contribute to the development of the Country Advocacy Strategy if needed.
- Implement the Program Advocacy Strategy, including legal and political analysis and update in identified areas of advocacy, campaigns, lobbying towards authorities and relevant stakeholders, in close coordination with the partners.
- Develop networking with key stakeholders at regional levels and participate in regional or international conferences and events in identified areas of advocacy as it needed.
- Develop communication and advocacy materials, including in local social media if needed.
4. Reporting, monitoring, and evaluation
- Implement and follow up effective monitoring and evaluation system mechanisms in coordination with the Monitoring and Evaluation department of MDM, and the partners to ensure that activities of the program are implemented as planned.
- Provide guidelines, templates, training, and support to the partners and team members involved in data collection and ensure the monitoring tools are operated correctly.
- Contribute to any relevant reports such as: monthly situational report to MdM, report to government authorities, especially Social Welfare Council, and donors’ agencies, annual reports, etc., in quality and timely manner.
- Prepare, implement, and facilitate evaluation process according to the initial project timeline and in coordination with Social Welfare Council, LPAC (Local Project Advisory Committee), CPAC (Central Project Advisory Committee), government authorities, donors and MdM.
- Contribute to the development of general strategy for MdM activities
- Support in exploratory activities of new program and areas of interventions.
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde (MdM), a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in more than 44 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV, and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts and environmental health.
MdM has worked in Nepal since 1995: firstly, on Tuberculosis and HIV in western province, then on Sexual and Reproductive Health in Sindhupalchok District. Following the 2015 earthquakes, MdM implemented an emergency response program and then, a post-earthquake early recovery project in the same district.
Since 2018, MdM is working on Environmental Health. The 2018-2019 “Healthy Waste Workers in Kathmandu Valley” program aimed to improve health status of informal waste workers (IWWs) in the Valley, mitigating their occupational risks and environmental exposure, improving access to information, and increasing access to health services in Teku, Shantinagar and Sisdole landfill sites. In continuation, the 3-years program started in 2020, aims to improve health, wellbeing, and livelihood of IWWs in Kathmandu Valley and Sisdole landfill. The strategy consists in: 1. formalization of IWWs through non-profit enterprises and increasing their recognition in integrated solid waste management in urban cities, 2. increasing risk mitigation and promotion of decent safe work opportunities in current activities and through innovation contributing to improve solid waste management and 3. increasing access to quality health services for IWWs and the community through promotion of Urban Health Promotion Center in Ward 19 and in Kakani’s Rural Health Center.
Nepal is currently facing several interrelated societal and environmental challenges that must be addressed together. The country has begun to recover from the 2015 earthquakes, but the COVID-19 pandemic is having a significant impact on the country’s economy. Agriculture is the most important economic sector, contributing 27.6% of the national GDP (Gross Domestic Product) (source: Economic Survey FY 2019-2020), thus 60.4% of Nepali working people depend on agriculture for their livelihood. In addition, the transportation of produce remains a major challenge in this mountainous country where many areas are difficult to access. The process of transitioning to commercial agriculture has begun, resulting in the massive use of chemical inputs to increase production and disastrous consequences for the environment and the health of farmers. This project will continue the development of economic recovery activities, with a focus on organic agriculture and farmers’ health, in a target area of 6 rural municipalities. Around these themes, the agricultural cooperatives of the partner will develop several activities such as the creation of model farms, the dissemination of resilient farming methods adapted to climate change via leading farmers, the creation of nurseries to produce locally adapted seeds, training in methods of protection against chemical inputs and awareness of the risks associated with their use etc.
- A minimum of 5 years in relevant experience in NGO/INGO, in public health sector/ program implementation, management and coordination,
- Experience in program planning, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Experience in working with communities and less advantaged/marginalized beneficiaries.
- Experience working with partners/partner organizations and/or government authorities.
Education and Skills
- Master’s degree in Public Health, social work, Sociology Field, program development.
- Proactive, well organized and ability to manage priorities, adaptable, reliable, accountable, and responsive personality
- Leadership, team-working and coordination skills
- Interpersonal and verbal communication abilities, charisma, tact and diplomacy, intercultural and difference awareness
- Assertiveness, mediation and negotiation, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- MS Office package MS-Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
- Nepali: fluent – both oral and written
- English: fluent – both oral and written
Notes to Candidates:
Please note that candidates who have already applied in the earlier advertisement do not need to apply again. This is a re-advertisement for additional applications only.
Nationality: Nepalese Duration: 1 Year (Renewal)
Duty Station: Kathmandu
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible in February 2024
Number of positions: 1
Closing date of application: 7th January 2024
How to Apply:
Requested to send a letter of interest mentioning position applied with an updated CV in English with 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org Médecins du Monde Nepal reserves the right to cancel, postpone or modify the whole recruitment process without providing any reasons whatsoever.
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an equal opportunity employer. MDM refuses in its action any discrimination for reasons of nationality, race, gender, religion, class, language, origin or political opinion.