WASH Specialist-Islamic Relief Nepal
Islamic Relief Worldwide, IRW is an international humanitarian organization that provides development programs and humanitarian relief around the globe, regardless of race, political affiliation, gender or beliefs. (http://www.islamic-relief.org/).
IR Nepal invites applications from qualified Nepali Candidate for the WASH Specialist position for Nepal Program.
Detail of Job responsibility is mentioned below. Interested candidates are required to submit their application letter and recent C.V mentioning the expected Salary via email to Info.Nepal@irworldwide.org, no later than 24th April 2018.
Functional Title: WASH Specialist
Base Location: Kathmandu with extensive field visit
Reporting to:Programme Coordinator
Contract Duration: 6 Months with Possibility of Extension based on availability of funds and performance. This includes 1.5-month probation period.
Starting Date: 1 May 2018
Salary: NPR 80,000 – 100,000 gross per month depending on the experience and qualification
The WASH specialist plays an important role with the implementation of the Islamic Relief Nepal’s WASH recovery project atLikhu and Dupcheshwor Rural Municipality, Nuwakot district. Islamic Relief provides the coordination, capacity building and advice to the local implementation partner in our projects. Islamic Relief provides project management, technical, quality control and monitoring support related to the recovery, reconstruction and sanitation activities. The Specialist will also be expected to support fundraising team and fulfil donor reporting requirements.
Key Activity Areas
- Develop designs, plans, technical specifications, bill of quantities of drinking water schemes, latrines, bathing cubicles etc as per approved standards by the Nepal Government bearing in mind the SPHERE standards as a minimum.
- Establish and oversee the implementation of systems for efficiently controlling the quality of technical works; track overall progress and work plans, and control the quality of the final construction outputs as per donor and user community expectations.
- Regular monitoring of various WASH construction activities to ensure that all the activities are executed as per design, specifications, costs and work schedule.
- Organise, supervise, monitor and assist the implementation of water, hygiene and sanitation interventions of the programme, with emphasis on community capacity building on WASH topics, as well as WASH hardware components, according to programme description, monthly activity plan, budget and national standards.
- Demonstrate experience in using community-based and participatory approaches and tools (SLTS/CLTS, KAP/FGD/KII/PDM survey etc.).
Training and awareness raising activities
- Identify training needs of community members involved in water, hygiene and sanitation interventions and develop and implement training plans.
- Ensure that Disaster Risk Reduction us integrated in various technical designs of the WASH structures and monitor its integration in various stages of construction.
- Work closely with partner staff, to design training, sensitization and orientation session and training regarding the operation and maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities.
- Take part in the selection, designing, developing, dissemination and evaluation of appropriate IEC (Information Education Communication) /BCC (Behavior Change Communication) hygiene material for effective hygiene promotion in the project target area.
- Working in harmony with partner project staff and Islamic Relief other team members for the effective and efficient day-to- day management and monitoring of the WASH activities.
- Provide technical and professional support to Sub-Engineers/Social mobilizers of local NGO partner on hygiene and sanitation matter for implementation at field level.
Communication and Coordination
- Represent Islamic Relief at relevant various level coordination meetings involving authorities, and other I/NGOs.
- Coordinate and liaise with relevant team members to ensure all objectives of the WASH program are met.
- Facilitate the process of capturing, documenting and disseminating project experiences, achievements, good practice as lesson learnt, case studies and progress reports related to WASH.
- Local procurement of construction materials in co-ordination with the Logistics Officer.
- Keeping records of consumable items and equipment used
- Promote and use the Islamic Relief operating procedures, ensuring that all standardized formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Lead on WASH technical assessments in coordination with other Islamic Relief Nepal thematic areas and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and all inclusive.
- Working with program department to develop WASH strategy, emergency response plans and master budgets and contribute to Islamic Relief Nepal’s overall country strategy.
- Working closely with Senior Programme Manager, Programme Coordinator,Programme Officer (Grants, M&E, Comms) Coordinator, support fundraising for the WASH sector, including development of high quality concept notes and proposals, and engagement with donors’ technical advisers.
- Prepare timely programme and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal Islamic Relief Nepal international requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Working closely with the Monitoring & Evaluation team to put in place a sector Monitoring & Evaluation plan, ensuring this links to reporting requirements, and capacity build technical field staff in carrying out the work.
- Put in place accountability activities for your thematic area, ensuring that feedback from all relevant stakeholders is considered in WASH programme design.
- To ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian support are maintained in accordance with HAP, Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- Deliver high quality results in line with the terms of reference agreed in advance.
- Comply with Islamic Relief Nepal policies and practice with respect to its values, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- Preferably Master’s degree in civil engineering, public health engineering, public health or a related field.
- Experience/Competencies for this position:
- At least 5 years of professional WASH work experience which includes at least one-year work experience in rural area.
- Computer literate with excellent working knowledge of Microsoft office, AutoCAD
- Experience working with different computer software package in engineering field will be added value.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Nepali languages.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress level.
- Experience with major donors (proposal writing, reporting, networking) including DFID, ECHO, USAID etc.
- Strong understanding of the importance of gender and vulnerability within WASH, and dedication to seeingthis addressed in our programming.
Interested candidates are required to submit their application letter and recent C.V mentioning the expected Salary via email to Info.Nepal@irworldwide.org, no later than 24th April 2018.