The Amgen Scholars Program provides hundreds of undergraduates each year with the opportunity to undertake scientific research projects at many of the world’s leading institutions. Launched in 2006 in the United States, 2008 in Europe, and 2015 in Japan at the University of Tokyo and Kyoto University, Amgen Scholars has expanded to additional world-class institutions in the U.S., Europe and Asia!
The objective of the program is to provide undergraduate students from different countries (including some from Japan) who are committed to or who are considering a career in biology or related sciences and looking to continue to graduate studies, with eight weeks of biomedical research experience in the basic and translational sciences. Research experiences are being provided by faculty members of the Graduate School of Science, Graduate School of Engineering, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, and the Institute of Industrial Science. By the end of their summer experience, students are expected to acquire knowledge and skills for conducting research. The students are also expected to extend their international friendship through the collaborative experiences. These experiences will help the students to develop future collaborations in many situations.
In addition to working full time in the laboratory for 8 weeks, the program features:
- Visits to Graduate Schools and Institutes related to biomedical research
- Information sessions on how to apply to Graduate Schools at UTokyo
- Special seminars and luncheons where students can meet and have discussions
- Access to UTokyo campus facilities such as the Library, Health Care Center and Gymnasium
- Japanese culture seminars and language classes
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must be undergraduate students who are:
- Enrolled in colleges or universities worldwide that award a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent); and
- At the minimum, have completed their first year of undergraduate study at the time the summer program begins, and
- Are not graduating before the summer program begins, and after the summer program ends will resume undergraduate studies for at least 1 semester or 1 quarter
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must also:
- Have a strong record of academic performance; and
- Have good working knowledge of English, demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 72, IELTS overall band score of 5.5, Cambridge English FCE, TOEIC score of 1095, TOEIC L&R score of 785, or TOEIC S&W score of 310, if not a native English speaker or English is not your first language, and
- Have an interest in pursuing a Ph.D.
- To devote full effort in participation in the Amgen Scholars Program. Scholars cannot take any courses or hold a job throughout the duration of the program. In addition, all participants must be able to attend the program for its entire duration.
- To live in the accommodation provided by UTokyo.
- To participate fully in the day-to-day life of the research group, respect the work of all members of the laboratory, and attend and participate in laboratory meetings or other gatherings.
- To attend the orientation on June 11, all required conferences, activities and social events.
- To give a poster/presentation describing his/her summer research project.
- To submit a research paper to the UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program Director at the conclusion of the program.
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program 2019 – Important Dates>
- November 1, 2018: 2019 Program Online Application Open
- February 1, 2019 at 3:00 pm JST*: Application deadline (*Japan Standard Time=UTC+9:00)
- Mid-March, 2019: Applicants notified of decision
- June 10, 2019: Participants must have arrived in Tokyo by this date
- June 11, 2019: UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program begins
- August 3-4, 2019: Amgen Scholars Asian Symposium in Singapore
- August 5, 2019: Program ends