Program Manager- The Netherlands Leprosy Relief
The Netherlands Leprosy Relief (NLR) is a professional organisation working in leprosy and disabilities. Annually more than 200,000 new cases are detected, amongst which over 3,000 in Nepal.
The organization is active in 9 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America with a budget of € 10 million. NLR Nepal has been established in the year1977. Its annual budget is around € 425,000 and it is active in 27 districts (all 14 in province no 1, Saptari, Siraha and Parsa in province no 2, Gorkha in province no 4 and all 9 in province no 7).
The main partner for leprosy control is the Ministry of Health of Nepal. In provinces and district level NLR Nepal works closely together with Disabled Persons Organisations (DPOs) and h other important stakeholders such as local governments, health institutions, universities and hospitals.
The NLR Nepal team consists of 17 staff. NLR provides technical support, on the job training, and coaching to health workers, local NGOs and DPOs.
Position: Program Manager (PM)
- Participate in developing and implementing long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the program in line with the agreed approach.
- Develop an annual budget and operating plan to support the program.
- Develop annual calendar of operation.
Coordination and Liaison
- Establish an effective coordination mechanism among different stakeholders and within the NLR.
- Coordination between Government line agencies, boundaries partners and strategic partners.
- Liaise with program and project stakeholders on an ongoing basis
- Where required, negotiate with other project managers for the acquisition of required personnel from within the organization
- Build, develop, and grow any cooperative relationships vital to the success of the project
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion
- Developing a monitoring and evaluation framework for sections in line with the Outcome Mapping model to ensure their objectives are achieved.
- Capacitate staff in collection, compilation, analysis, interpretation of data received from different sources and use them for monitoring.
- Review the process and outcome of quarterly, half yearly and annual performance reviews.
Human Resource Management
- Ensure the management of all Programme staff is in accordance with the organisation’s Manual and policy, including records, routine procedures, disciplinary matters, and grievances.
- Determine and assess need for additional staff and/or consultants and make the arrangement for appropriate recruitments.
- Implement the human resources policies, procedures and practices of the organization
- Ensure that personnel files for the program are properly maintained and kept confidential
- Establish and implement a performance management process for all program staff
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities as per requirement to appropriate personnel
- Overseeing of all budgets and finances for the Programme, ensuring that all areas of work have sufficient funding. Liaising with NLR HO finance staff as appropriate, and ensure that finance policies and procedures are followed, expenditure is appropriate and funds are used efficiently. Responsibility for all agreements entered into by the Programme, including the signing of TORs, contracts, and agreements with partner organisations.
- Draft and submit budget proposals, and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary.
- Support in development of a fundraising strategy to diversify financial funds and to be less dependent on NLR funds.
- Proactively identify institutional fundraising (IF) opportunities and contribute to the development of IF proposals.
- On request of NLR IO support and facilitate NLR fundraising activities through such as film teams, preparation of articles & photographs etc.
- Guide the team especially the IF concern persons for all aspects of fund raising.
- Support for the visits from abroad such as Technical Advisers, Programmes Department or Fundraising Department staff and visitors from other NLR-supported projects.
- Support Unit Heads and other staff to ensure they are able to carry out their duties. Identifying the training needs of those staff. Encouraging career development through appropriate placements and upgrading.
Recording and Reporting
- Ensure annual and other periodic project reports are prepared and well documented.
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals and presentations.
- Strengthen documentation system within CR office and field programs.
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project team.
- Resolve the security issues in consultation with CR.
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
- Facilitate, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Support CR in conducting a situation analysis/mapping of different national, international, bilateral and multilateral organizations.
- University degree in Management or social science.
- 5 years direct work experience in a program management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution.
- Certifications in finance and IT (information technology)
- Strong familiarity with project management & software, such as MS Office, Internet & Intranet
- Competent and proficient understanding of platforms, such as international level workshops/seminars/trainings
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Reacts to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently
- Flexible during times of change
- Ability to read communication styles of team members and contractors who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines
- Persuasive, encouraging, and motivating
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, right holders, and other projects
- Ability to defuse tension among project team, should it arise
- Ability to bring project to successful completion through political sensitivity
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and others
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial
- Overtime may be required in meet project deadlines
- Sitting for extended periods of time
- Some travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with right holders, stakeholders, or off-site personnel/management