The Deutsche Gesellschaft ftir Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH currently seeks a Technical Advisor with a focus on Data for Social Protection for a project supporting the Government of Nepal in identifying poor households. The project aims in the short run to fill the gap of data on households living below the poverty line. In the long run it is envisaged to support an effort by concerned governmental bodies to jointly collect household data for the government’s social protection programme.
The Identification of Poor Households project works in close cooperation with the Support the Health Sector Programme (S2HSP). S2HSP is executed by the Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP) and supported by GIZ on behalf of the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). S2HSP is in line with the Nepal Health Sector Strategy (NHSS) 2015-2020 and aims to improve access to effective and qualitative healthcare services, particularly for disadvantaged population groups in Nepal. S2HSP is focusing on 5 key result areas’ (1) Social Health Protection, (2) Human Resource for Health (3) Governance in Health (4) Strengthening Health Information Systems and (5) Adolescent Health and Development
The position holder shall work in close cooperation with the Social Health Protection Component at the S2HSP.
Position: Technical Advisor – Social Protection
Duty Station: Kathmandu
- Analyse and collect the data requirements for social protection programmes in Nepal
- Liaise with federal and local government and non-government representatives regarding the feasibility and requirements of a tool for joint data collection for social protection
- Provide advisory towards the design, testing and potential implementation of a joint data collection tool
- Support the design of an alternative identification mechanisms for poor households (e.g. community-based targeting)
- Promote dialogue, consensus and decision making amongst stakeholders on poor household identification mechanisms
- Identify and cooperate with key government and non-government stakeholders towards the process of a joint data collection methodology on social protection
- Liaise with key external development partners and forge alliances towards a joint data collection approach
- Analyse and present international best practices on joint data collection
- Design, implement and document meetings, workshops, seminars and other events in relation to the activity
- Cooperate with other GIZ projects/programmes on the relevant work areas
- Support documentation and report writing
- Coordinate (short-term) experts on various related assignments
- Contribute to GIZs knowledge management by publishing articles/papers/factsheets on the designated work areas
- Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of the Study and Expert Fund Measure –
Required qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree or advanced degree in (Health) Economics, Social Policy, Public Policy, Public Health or similar
- At least five years of experience in a position as technical advisor / project manager / researcher or similar working with government officials
- Significant work experience (5+ years) on social protection systems
- Demonstrated experience in data collection and analysis for social programmes Proven expertise in targeting mechanisms for social protection programmes Demonstrated expertise in managing diverse stakeholders and promoting consensus
- Preferably experience working with international development partners
- Excellent in communication in both English and Nepalese and strong presentation skills
- Very good working knowledge of IT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
Interested candidates are requested to send a completed application including CV and two referees to [email protected] by November 15, 2018. Only applications sent by email will be accepted. Please write in the subject line while applying by position: for “Ref. Nr. 18019- Technical Advisor – Social Protection”.
Only short-listed candidates will be called for written test and interview. No telephone inquiries will be entertained. The organization reserves the right to cancel or postpone the whole recruitment process without providing any reasons whatsoever.
The salary and social benefits will correspond to the GIZ rule applicable to national staff. Especially women and candidates from underprivileged groups are encouraged to apply.
THT (Oct 31, 2018)