Technical Advisor on Social Health Protection – GIZ: The Deutsche Gesellschaft Mr Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH currently seeks a Technical Advisor on Social Health Protection for the Nepali-German Support to the Health Sector Programme (S2HSP). S2HSP is executed by the Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP) and supported by GIZ on behalf of the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). S2HSP is in line with the Nepal Health Sector Strategy (NHSS) 2015-2020 and aims to improve access to effective and qualitative healthcare services, particularly for disadvantaged population groups in Nepal. S2HSP is focusing on 5 key result areas: (1) Social Health Protection, (2) Human Resource for Health (3) Governance in Health (4) Strengthening Health Information Systems and (5) Adolescent Health and Development.
The position will be split (50%) between the Support to the Health Sector Programme (S2HSP) and the Identification of Poor Households project. The Identification of Poor Households project aims in the short run to fill the gap of data on households living below the poverty line. In the long run it is envisaged to support an effort by concerned governmental bodies to jointly collect household data for the government’s social protection programme.
Position: Technical Advisor – Social Health Protection
Duty Station: Kathmandu
- Provide advice to the Government of Nepal towards a coherent health financing reform strategy
- Design options on provider autonomy reform and promote relevant discussions with government stakeholders
- Coordinate and support quality management reform activities at national, provincial and facility level
- Provide advisory on benefit package design and expansion
- Support the Health Insurance Board in drafting and implementing organisational reform including designing an organisational chart
- Provide advisory to the Health Insurance Board on utilizing household data for coverage expansion
- Liaise and provide advisory to government stakeholders on the further development of the poor household identification mechanism (proxy-means-test based)
- Assess, develop and pilot alternative identification mechanisms for poor households (e.g. community-based targeting)
- Promote dialogue, consensus and decision making amongst stakeholders on poor household identification mechanisms
- Develop, cooperate and maintain contacts with all governmental and non¬governmental stakeholders in relation to health insurance and social protection matters
- Design, implement and document meetings, workshops, seminars and other events in relation to the activity
- Cooperate with other GIZ projects/programmes on the relevant work areas
- Support documentation and report writing
- Coordinate (short-term) experts on various related assignments
- Contribute to GIZs knowledge management by publishing articles/papers/factsheets on the designated work areas
- Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of the Support to the Health Sector Programme (S2HSP) and the Study and Expert Fund Measure — Identification of Poor Households
Required qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree or advanced degree in (Health) Economics, Social Policy, Public Policy, Public Health or similar
- At least five years of experience in a position as technical advisor / project manager or similar working with government officials
- Significant work experience (5+ years) on health financing or health systems reform
- Proven expertise in targeting mechanisms for social protection programmes
- Demonstrated expertise in managing diverse stakeholders and promoting consensus
- Preferably experience working with international development partners
- Excellent in communication in both English and Nepalese and strong presentation skills
- Very good working knowledge of IT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
Interested candidates are requested to send a completed application including CV and two referees to [email protected] by November 15, 2018. Only applications sent by email will be accepted. Please write in the subject line while applying by position: for “Ref. Nr. 18018- Technical Advisor – Social Health Protection”.
Only short-listed candidates will be called for written test and interview. No telephone inquiries will be entertained. The organization reserves the right to cancel or postpone the whole recruitment process without providing any reasons whatsoever.
The salary and social benefits will correspond to the GIZ rule applicable to national staff. Especially women and candidates from underprivileged groups are encouraged to apply.
THT (Oct 31, 2018)