LOCATION: Epidemiology and Disease Control Division (EDCD), Teku, Kathmandu
POST TYPE: National Fixed Term
CHILD SAFEGUARDING LEVEL 3: The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reached approximately two million populations and invested over 29 million US dollars in 2012 to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in Health, Nutrition, Education, Protection and Child Rights and Governance, Livelihood, HIV and AIDS, and Humanitarian crises.
Surveillance Medical Officer will be responsible for implementation of malaria program at regional level and ensure all the surveillance activities are going smoothly throughout the country. He/She will be responsible for active case finding surveillance, fever survey, mass blood survey and screening of sub microscopic cases at regional level as well as across the region as per necessary. He/she will also support national Malaria program in different surveys, development of malaria treatment protocol, therapeutic efficacy study and other malaria elimination activities at regional level.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Provide training’s, technical and logistic assistance to government counterparts as needed to promote malaria elimination activities within designated area, in accordance with guidelines and procedures provided by the Save the Children and the Government of Nepal, Ministry of Health and Population, Department of Health Services (DHS), Epidemiology and Disease Control Division (EDCD) at regional and across the region whereas necessary.
- Coordinate with Surveillance medical Coordinator at EDCD and health officers/Health coordinators of Palikas for effective and efficient implementation of Malaria control activities.
- Manage day to day implementation of Global Fund NFM malaria activities at across the country in close coordination with Save the children regional office and Nepal government staffs.
- Support in capacity building of Vector Control inspector/officer (VCO/I), Lab assistants and lab technicians in diagnosis and management of malaria vector and parasites.
- Supervise and monitor the diagnosis and management procedure of malaria by private health service providers.
- Build strategic partnership and maintain effective communication with stakeholders at regional level.
- Conduct case based surveillance of confirmed malaria cases.
- Plan, organize and conduct orientations/meetings with government officials, professional organizations, health staff, health volunteers, local leaders, medical colleges, non-government organizations and others to promote understanding of, support for, participation in, and effective implementation of activities related to malaria surveillance.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with District Health Officer/Public Health Officer and the Regional Health Director in designated areas, as well as with other individuals and organizations related to malaria elimination initiative.
- Works on the improvement of the national malaria information system, in cooperation with the national health information system (HIS);
- Implement a Public-Private Mix (PPM) for malaria control service delivery;
- Collaborate with relevant programmes to strengthen the supply and management of antimalarial medicines and related commodities, including drug quality monitoring and combating counterfeit medicines.
- Involve other stakeholders such as INGO and NGO in the Malaria response
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred) in Medicine with at least 3 years of experience
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on a team, particularly with government sectors and partners
- Fluency in Nepali and English.
- Proven ability in transferring skills, particularly working with government and non-government colleagues
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication and presentation skill