Senior Systems & Governance Lead – Strengthening Systems for Better Health
USAID’s Strengthening Systems for Better Health Activity is a 5-year project aimed at improving health outcomes in Nepal, particularly for the most marginalized and disadvantaged groups in the country. This will be accomplished through supporting the Government of Nepal’s efforts to expand access to and use of quality maternal, newborn and child health and family planning services, with a specific focus on newborn care. Systems Strengthening for Better Health was initiated in January 2018 and will achieve three outcomes: (i) improving access to and utilization of equitable healthcare services, (ii) improving the quality of health services at facility and community levels and (iii) improving health system governance, within the context of decentralization and federalism. The project will be implemented in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development, provincial and municipal governments, facility and community level health service providers and other key stakeholders. Project works at national, provincial and municipal levels in the target geographic areas of Provinces 6 (Karnali) and 5.
Systems Strengthening for Better Health is currently recruiting for below positions, and welcomes applications from qualified individuals. These positions are based at the main project office in Kathmandu.
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Division: International Health (IHD)
Contract: Strengthening Systems for Better Health Activity
Supervisor: Deputy Chief of Party
Reporting to the Deputy Chief of Party, the Senior Systems & Governance Lead will oversee and manage the project’s technical work in governance, systems strengthening, and capacity building.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Review existing palika-specific planning and budgeting guidelines, standards and tools and adapt as needed based on the latest provincial guidelines and policies.
- Provide support to facilitate results-based inter-sectoral planning and budget meetings at the provincial and palika levels, incorporating evidence from routine data analysis of indicators disaggregated across key equity factors.
- Support provincial and municipal health authorities to institutionalize a performance improvement and management strengthening framework and approach.
- Assist the provincial council and provincial-level health authorities to establish a clear process to review, adapt and finalize province-specific planning and budgeting policies, standards, procedures, guidelines and tools.
- Lead activities in the targeted geographies to institutionalize systems and processes for improved performance related to planning and financial management, human resources management, supply of essential medicines and overall stewardship for health resources.
- Participate in TWGs and other government and donor forums focused on how decentralization should evolve in the health sector.
- Work with existing central-level stakeholders and counterparts at newly established provincial and municipal health authorities to institutionalize clear roles and responsibilities.
- Help develop planning and budgeting manuals/tools to guide staff and strengthen capacity among new planning or finance officers.
Qualification requirements include the following
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Management or other relevant fields
- At least 8 years of experience in designing, implementing and advising on programs focused on governance, systems strengthening, capacity building.
- Experience at the district/ sub-national levels of the health system in Nepal is highly desirable.
- Expertise in policy development, policy implementation and monitoring at either the national or sub-national level in Nepal is an added advantage.
- Strong people and project manager, with proven experience, successfully managing multiple partners and work streams
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English