Senior Research Consultant- Ipas Nepal
Ipas Nepal is a non-profit international organization that works to increase women’s ability to exercise their Sexual and Reproductive Health, especially the Right to Safe Abortion. We seek to eliminate Unsafe Abortion and the resulting deaths and injuries and to expand women’s access to Comprehensive Abortion Care, including contraception and related reproductive health information and care.
Period: 18th March to 15th June 2018
After liberalization of abortion law in Nepal in 2002, Ipas Nepal is supporting Family Health Division (FHD) in expanding medical abortion (MA) service in the lower health facilities through task shifting to Auxiliary Nurse Midwives (ANM) who also are trained as Skilled Birth Attendants (SBA). Despite the legalization of abortion and expansion of the service in Nepal, women are still accessing to unsafe abortion services. In 2014, nearly 58% of abortions were clandestine. To overcome this gap, Ipas Nepal proposes to conduct an assessment study to explore the stakeholder’s views on increasing service access and expanding providers base. To accomplish the above-mentioned task, Ipas Nepal is looking for a Senior Research Consultant. The detailed roles and responsibilities and specific requirements of the high-level consultant are as follows:
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support the development of research protocol and data collection tools including the Key informant interview guide, for obtaining ethical approval from Nepal Health Research Council.
- Translate all developed tools into Nepali language, lead the tools pretesting and ensure all the research tools are updated prior to fieldwork.
- Participate and support Ipas study team in conduction and facilitation of data collection training for field researchers.
- Coordinate and conduct the central level stakeholders interview, transcribe and translate the interviews conducted at the central level.
- Perform the data coding, entry in Atlas.ti and perform the analysis.
- Prepare the draft report and share it with Ipas for the necessary feedback.
- Finalize the report based on feedback received from Ipas study team.
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
- Advanced university degree in public health, population studies or related discipline with minimum 7 years of relevant work experience.
- Sound knowledge and proven track record of conducting qualitative research,
- preferably in sexual and reproductive health.
- Sound understanding of sexual and reproductive health, in particular, safe abortion program, as well as national health priorities and challenges.
- Proven competence in management and analysis of qualitative data, producing high-quality research paper.