Senior Laboratory Technician – IOM Nepal
Senior Laboratory Technician – IOM Nepal
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Senior Laboratory Technician
Position Required: 1 Position
Duty Station: Damak, Nepal
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade 7
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term 9 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: November 16, 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in Nepal for administrative matters, the direct supervision of the International Migration Health Physician in Damak, and in coordination with the Regional Coordinator for Laboratory Service in ROAP for technical aspects the incumbent will be responsible for leading laboratory services with respect to migration health assessments (HAP) and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in Nepal.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Organize laboratory activities for efficient and optimal service delivery.
- Participate in planning and designing of new or upgrading existing facilities.
- Promote and monitor implementation of SOPs to comply with HAPs and other progammes’ standards.
- Participate in recruitment of, train and supervise laboratory staff. Promote staff development and continuous training.
- Participate in annual HAP activities planning and budget preparation related to laboratory services.
- Ensure that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work. Participate in planning of procurement, delivery, installation, servicing and operation of all laboratory equipment and optimal expenditure of consumables.
- Organize record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation to operational research.
- Liaise on laboratory related topics with national and laboratories in other countries, other IOM departments, relevant national entities and international partners.
- Participate in development of long term work plan for improvement of facilities and safety, process control, information management, staff development and customer service.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences with five years of relevant laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in a mycobacteriology laboratory with a valid professional license issued from Nepal Health Professional Council.Or
- High School degree in above field with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Managerial and/or supervisory training and/or experience is a distinct advantage.
- Expertise and experience in health projects development and implementation is a distinct advantage.
- Working experience with international organizations.
- Proven management and/or Supervisory, organizational and planning skills.
- Effectively applies and transfers relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations.
- Computer literate with good understanding of data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performance.
- Excellent awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optimal use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery
Fluency in English, Nepali is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation – Convinces others to share resources? Presents goals as shared interests
- Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. Only Nepali Nationals will be considered for this position.
How to apply:
Interested Candidates are requested to submit their application indicating clearly the position applied, VN number and CV with three references to the following address: Human Resource Department, International Organization for Migration, P.O. Box 25503, Baluwatar, Kathmanduor email to [email protected] by 16 November 2017. Only short listed candidates will be called for interview.
Posting period: From 03.11.2017 to 16.11.2017
ORIGINAL SOURCE OF INFO (JOBSNEPAL.COM)