Provincial Team Lead- Strengthening Systems for Better Health Activity
USAID’s Strengthening Systems for Better Health Activity is a 5-year project aimed at improving health outcomes in Nepal, particularly for the most marginalized and disadvantaged groups in the country. This will be accomplished through supporting the Government of Nepal’s efforts to expand access to and use of quality maternal, newborn and child health and family planning services, with a specific focus on newborn care. Systems Strengthening for Better Health was initiated in January 2018 and will achieve three outcomes: (i) improving access to and utilization of equitable healthcare services, (ii) improving the quality of health services at facility and community levels and (iii) improving health system governance, within the context of decentralization and federalism. The project will be implemented in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development, provincial and municipal governments, facility and community level health service providers and other key stakeholders. Project works at national, provincial and municipal levels in the target geographic areas of Provinces 6 (Karnali) and 5.
Systems Strengthening for Better Health is currently recruiting for below positions, and welcomes applications from qualified individuals.
Provincial Team Lead
Location: Birendranagar, Surkhet, Karnali Pradesh
Division: International Development (IDD)
Contract: Strengthening Systems for Better Health Activity
Supervisor: Deputy Chief of Party
The Provincial Team Lead will be based in the Activity’s provincial office in Birendranagar, Surkhet and will report directly to the Kathmandu-based Deputy Chief of Party. The Provincial Team Lead will be the Activity’s senior representative in Karnali Pradesh and will lead the team in the provincial office and manage partnerships and collaboration with the provincial Ministry of Social Development, regional and local health officials, other USAID implementing partners and External Development Partner representatives in the province.
Specific tasks include:
- In collaboration with the Strengthening Systems for Better Health Senior Management Team, plan, manage and oversee Activity interventions at provincial and municipal levels, ensuring both the technical quality of the work and compliance with approved workplans and budgets and focusing on strengthening health system governance.
- Serve as the key liaison with the Karnali Province government and health officials in new and emerging health governance structures. Foster robust working relationships with these counterparts, engaging them in planning, implementation and monitoring as appropriate, keeping them apprised of project progress and challenges.
- Provide direct supervision and manage the performance of the provincial technical and finance/admin teams, ensuring that the technical staff have the tools and resources to engage with provincial level counterparts and supervise the work of the multidisciplinary teams at municipal level.
- Coordinate closely with other USAID implementing partners and other health sector actors to ensure collaboration, reduce duplication, and share data/information as appropriate.
- Ensure that project interventions are tailored to the specific needs of provincial and municipal councils; administrators in evolving Ministry of Health (MoH) structures; coordination and management committees at multiple levels in the health system, facility-level managers and service providers; and community-level service providers.
- Assist new provincial and municipal councils to coordinate the inputs of implementing partners as they plan and manage delivery of quality health services.
- Provide oversight for management of Activity financial resources in the provinces and municipalities; ensure adherence to Activity and compliance with USAID financial management polices & procedures and regulations.
- Provide oversight for office operations and administrative support for program activities, ensuring excellent logistics support to field level operations, and adherence to Activity rules and regulations governing finance and operations.
- Ensure that the Activity office premises in Birendranagar are orderly, well-organized and reflect positively on both the Activity and on USAID.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Health Administration, Business, or other relevant field
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in the health systems and governance, preferably in the I/NGO sector
- Strong organizational, communication and computer proficiency skills
- Experience with donor funded international health programs in Nepal highly desirable, USAID experience preferable
- Advanced written/oral skills in English