Project Officer – WaterAid Nepal (WAN)
WaterAid’s vision is of a world where everyone has access to safe water and sanitation. Our mission is to transform lives by improving access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world’s poorest communities. WaterAid works with partners to maximize its impacts for policy change/ influence. We work with partners and influence decision-makers to maximize our impact.
WaterAid works through supporting local organizations and government authorities to designand demonstrate appropriate and sustainable WASH programmes. WaterAid also seeks to influence the policy change through the Government and other Key Actors to secure and protect the rights of marginalized and vulnerable people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
Purpose of Role
The Project Officer will be expected to contribute to and assist in the successful delivery of the “ Hygiene promotion through Routine Immunization Programme and assist the Project Manager in nationwide scale up of hygiene promotion while Rota introduction, implemented in collaboration between the Ministry of Health and Population, Nepal and WaterAid. The officer will provide necessary technical, logistic and administrative support for the project. The role will require the individual to develop strong and productive working relationships with government counterparts (at central, regional and districts level), WaterAid Nepal and UK teams, and other Health and WASH sector stakeholders for the effective delivery of the project.
Department: Technical Support Unit (TSU)
Reports to (title): Project Manager – TSU
Direct Reports (titles): Not Applicable
Duration : 9 months with possibility of extension.
This position will be based at WAN TSU office at Child Health Division, Teku however, regular travel to project sites will be required under this role.
Support the Project Manager on successful management of the project
- Design and delivery of Hygiene promotion through the Routine Immunization programme and further support in scale up of its promotion nationwide.
- Assist in the design of a robust evaluation, documentation and knowledge dissemination
- Assist the re-design and development of slim hygiene promotion package and Hygiene guideline for Rota introduction
- Maintain a database to record all levels of training
Provide support to stake holders in the project
- Work closely with District Health Offices/Palikas/local health facilities to effectively conduct hygiene promotion sessions.
- Work closely with a creative team/working committee to re-design the slimhygiene promotion package based upon feedback from pilot programme.
- Maintain appropriate database system linking with project success indicators
- Work closely with project manager, CHD/EPI section and respective provincial level to conduct planning meetings in each provincial level.
- Work closely with CHD/EPI section and respective provincial healthauthorities for training of Rota and Hygiene guidelines.
- Provide necessary admin support to conduct the creative process, testing and procurement and delivery processes of slim package.
- Support in coordinating with CHD/NCIP and ICC for presenting the slim package and follow up for approval of slim package.
- Ensure admin and logistics support for central, provincial and Palika level training
Support effective project implementation in each selected districts:
- Coordinate with districts/Palikas/Local health facilities /FCHVs to effectively implement the programme in current four programme districts
- Ensure timely supply of all the project logistics at district/Palika levels
- Ensure effective communication system with district/Palika/Local health facility level staffs throughout the project period
Conduct monitoring visits and ensure timely reporting:
- Assist supportive supervision by government and visit districts/Palikas/hygiene sessions for regular monitoring
- Collate and analyze data to assess progress against success indicators and report to Project manager and EPI chief
- Conduct interaction with mothers/FCHVs/Health Workers and document voices,case stories and disseminate at appropriate places.
- Assist project manager to develop monthly internal progress report and external quarterly, six monthly and annual progress reports
- Assist to conduct mid-term review meetings
- Support project manager to document project process
Work closely with project manager and ensure timely support to CHD/EPI to conduct key
coordination and technical support activities:
- Support CHD to draft letters, invite members and ensure logistics for any events/meetings related to this project.
- Maintain robust filing system for this project
- Establish database system of the target and service users (beneficiary) population
- Ensure effective office environment by working closely with project manager
Work with the team to ensure robust financial management:
- Work closely with Finance and Admin Associate,WAN Finance Department,Project Manager and WaterAid UK to monitor expenditure against the overall project budget
- Assist in producing financial summary sheet for monthly, quarterly, six monthly and annual reports
- Work closely with project manager, Finance and Admin Associate,WAN Finance Department and CHD/EPI to manage and monitor district/Palika level expenditure. Review all expenditures submitted by districts/Palikas or from any central level activities, ensure thorough review by project manager and get approval from EPI Chief/CHD. Support in maintaining expenditure databasesystem and forward all original files to WAN for necessary financial arrangement
- Support in ensuring all expenditure meets WA financial norms/regulations
- Support in Managing and safeguarding invoices, cheque books, vouchers and financial documents
- Support in Managing contacts with suppliers and contractors and preparing payments and receipts
- Handle pretty cash expenses and carry out periodic cash count if and when required.
- Help ensure timely payment and records maintenance on vehicle running costs,per diems, utilities/telephone bills and photocopying
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health
- Minimum of two years’ work experience on Health or WASH programme delivery, admin and financial related work, preferably in I/NGOs
- Experience of working with local organizations and government staff
- Experience and understanding of MoH’s working modality
- Fluency in spoken and written Nepali and English
- High level of IT literacy (word processing, spreadsheets and presentations)Good
- interpersonal skills, self-motivation, creativity and an ability to perform without close supervision
- Knowledge and experience of programme evaluation and monitoring
- Masters in Public Health with one year of experience
- Knowledge and experience of working on routine immunization and hygiene promotion
- Experience in assisting research in Health and WASH development issues
- Knowledge and practical experience of implementing programme using FCHVs / front line