Project Officer – Maternal, Newborn and Child Health- Save the Children
Project Officer – Maternal, Newborn and Child Health- Save the Children: Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In Nepal and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share. Save the Children invites applications from the interested and eligible candidates, who are reliable, accountable, have the ability to deliver results with the highest level of integrity and who value diversity, for the following position(s):
Project Officer – Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (PO – MNCH)
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Health & Nutrition
LOCATION: Rural/Municipality of Dailekh
CONTRACT LENGTH: Fixed-term until December 2018
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reach approximately two million population and invest over 30 million US dollars annually to reach more children than ever before, through programs in Health and Nutrition, (H&N), Education, Child Rights and Governance and Child Protection (CRG & CP), Child Poverty, HIV & AIDS, and Humanitarian.
The Project Officer – Maternal Newborn Child Health (PO-MNCH) is responsible for planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of MNCH project activities in Dailekh district of province no. 6 of Nepal. In addition, s/he provides technical assistance to DPHO, HFs to implement and monitor the MNCH activities. Likewise, s/he establishes and strengthens good coordination with government counterparts like DHO, DDC, Rural Municipality, Municipalities and supporting agencies in the district/Rural/Municipalities. S/He ensures functional reporting and logistics supply system of DHO/ Rural/Municipalities and HFs for quality and timely service delivery of MNCH program. Moreover, the PO will also support on organizing events and logistic support to the project interventions planned for year 2018, so that the financial and operational compliance of Save the Children are met.
The specific role of the PO – MNCH will be to strengthen community level maternal and child health service delivery system through intensive technical support visits, onsite coaching to nursing staffs and clinical updates to front-line health workers.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Planning, implementation and monitoring of the project interventions
- Prepare Detail Implementation Plan (DIP), and phased budget of MNCH project in the district/ Rural Municipality with full participation of government counterparts, project team
- Ensure timely implementation and budget utilization of project interventions as per DIP and phased budget prepared for the district
- Conduct regular field visit and monitoring of activities being implemented to be sure that activities are implemented as per standards
- Conduct on-site monitoring and coaching to HFOMC, HFs, HWs, FCHVs to ensure the quality of services
- Monitoring and follow up of project interventions being implemented in District, Rural Municipality and HFs level
- Support both project and finance team to meet financial compliance of Save the Children
Coordination and technical support to DHO, Health Section of Rural/Municipality for smooth operation of MNCH Project
- Establish good coordination with DHO, Health Section of Rural Municipalities, HFOMC, HFs and development partners in the district for smooth operation of the project interventions
- Technical support the DHO and HFs for MNCH and nutrition program planning at district, Rural Municipality, Municipality & health facility level in Dailekh
- Provide continual support for the implementation of MNCHN activities in the district, Rural Municipality and HFs level
- Ensure the timely and quality supply of essential health commodities and materials of MNCH program
- Conduct technical support visits to health facilities, community health workers, FCHVs, pregnant women, and postpartum mothers and ensure the quality of services.
- Support Rural/Municipalities for functional integration of MNCH activities at District/Rural/municipalities in Dailekh
Reporting and documentation of the project interventions
- Prepare various project reports of the district as per requirement of government, SC and donor
- Identify and document case studies, innovations and promising/best practices in relation with project interventions and issues
- Ensure timely collection of accurate, complete and consistent data from field
- Support to prepare project activity guidelines and process documents as required by project team
- Update OPMIS and Total Reach with accurate data and submit within deadline
- Capture quality photographs of program related activities for documentation, reporting and case studies
Technical support for quality program implementation
- Facilitate meetings, trainings and workshop as per plan.
- Support Rural Municipalities, HFs, HWs/FCHVs in recording, reporting, and also ensure that data is being collected at health facilities and reported to higher authority routinely
- Ensure timely collection of accurate, complete, consistent data by Health workers, FCHV/health facilities.
- Participate in monthly meetings, review meetings, workshops at Rural/Municipality and HF level to provide technical support and feedback.
- Support the PC – MNCH in preparation of reports as per donor and SCI requirement
Occasional Significant Duties
- Develop annual work-plan, monitoring plan and procurement plans in close coordination with respective team.
- Provide support, as and when required to the Health and Nutrition team on activities related to the other projects of the team.
- Support to organize donor visits
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Public Health or Nursing (BPH, BN, B.Sc. Nursing) with clinical (Nursing/General Medicine etc.) background
- At least 3 years of working experience in health sector, preferably in MNCH
- Interpersonal communication and coordination
- Ability to work in remote, complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Proficiency in writing technical and programmatic reports that document program directions and results
- Knowledge/Experience in operational (admin. Finance, audit) procedure of GoN and INGOs