Nurse – Migration Health – IOM Nepal
Vacancy Notice No:VN#NP/06/18
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Nurse – Migration Health
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade 5
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date : June 12, 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the International Migration Health Physician (IMHP) and the direct supervision of the Head Nurse, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations,
- Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity;
- Blood, urine or sputum collection as required;
- Laboratory testing;
- TB management;
- Treatment and referrals;
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
- Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
- Other technical areas as may be required.
- Medical examinations,
- Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
- The migration health assessment process; and,
- Treatments and referrals.
- Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking;
- Accurate and thorough Bio-data collection;
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process; and,
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
- Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s check lists and SOP’s and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
- Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or previously designated location.
- Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable.
- Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education, prevention and management as appropriate.
- Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary.
- Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
- Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings and preparations as necessary.
- Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
- Collect statistical information and share with the Head Nurse or IMHP as present and agreed upon format.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing from an accredited institution with three years of clinical experience.
- Completed High School Degree in Nursing with 5 years’ work experience in related field.
- Valid license to practice Nursing in Nepal.
- Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage.
- Computer Literacy required. MS Office suite (word, Excel, Access)
- Fluency in English, Nepali is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation – Convinces others to share resources? Presents goals as shared interests
- Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. Only Nepali Nationals will be considered for this position
How to apply:
Interested Candidates are requested to submit their application indicating clearly the position applied, VN number and CV with three references to the following address: Human Resource Department, International Organization for Migration, P.O. Box 25503, Baluwatar, Kathmandu or email to [email protected] by 12 June 2018. Only short listed candidates will be called for interview.
From 30.05.2018 to 12.06.2018