Nurse In-Charge, Charikot Hospital- Possible: Nurse In-Charge, Medical – Dolakha, State 3
Applications are being accepted on an immediate, rolling basis for Nepali candidates.
The organization: Possible
Possible is a nonprofit healthcare company that delivers high-quality, low-cost healthcare to the people of hard to reach areas. We are pioneering a new approach, called durable healthcare that brings together the best of private, public, and philanthropic models. Possible has so far treated over 600,000 patients in rural Nepal through government hospitals, clinics, community health workers, and a referral network.
Learn more about our culture and work in this feature from First Round Capital entitled “This Culture Deck Powers the World’s Toughest Work.”
The opportunity: Are you the right fit?
We are looking for competent professionals who will champion our belief that quality healthcare is possible in rural Nepal. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated clinical experience preferably of one years, be a fantastic communicator, excellent team player and willing to work in challenging settings.
You’re driven by impact and solving for the patient and have a deep understanding of clinical care in rural setting. Most importantly, your orientation toward the work should match well with our operating values, captured by our For-Impact Culture Code.
Lastly, you’re a believer, not an employee. And you’re looking for an opportunity to use your skills to transform an early stage organization and impact hundreds of thousands of lives.
1. Excellent clinical skills
- Completed Bachelor Degree in Nursing education from recognized university.
- Nursing experience, Nursing in-charge experience preferred.
- Strong OB experience required.
- OT/SBA training/experience preferred.
- Registered in Nepal Health Nursing Council.
- Technical and managerial skills to fulfill all clinical responsibilities as outlined in the Areas of Responsibility section below.
2. Strong fit with our For-Impact Culture Code
- Your work ethic, personality, and approach to healthcare need to align well with our organizational culture.
- You need to be able to represent Charikot Hospital’s and Possible’s best image in the local community.
3. Hunger for personal and professional growth
- Willingness to learn from and mentor others is a must.
4. Ability to perform well in a team
- You need to be highly capable and excited about management, continuing medical education, and collaborating with a global team.
- Professional level of competency in English preferred.
- Good computer skills preferred.
- Reports To: Medical Director
- Direct Reports: Staff Nurses, ANMs
- Dotted Line Reports: None
Big 3 Responsibilities:
- Provide direct nursing care for inpatient, outpatient, emergency, maternity, family planning, surgical and abortion patients and OT.
- Manage the nursing teams and health aid teams at Charikot Hospital, including timely and compassionate care of patients, teaching and career development of nursing staff, organized and clean management of clinical spaces and proper sterilization.
- Support the management structure of the hospital as a member of senior management
Areas of Responsibility (AoRs):
1. Provide direct nursing care for inpatient, emergency, maternity, family planning, IPD, OT, surgical and abortion patients.
- Admit and discharge patients from the inpatient department
- Appropriately triage patients based on severity of illness
- Manage morning rounds with the medical team
- Provide all necessary assistance in the management of emergency cases or deliveries
- Provide proper nursing care to admitted patients and deliveries
- Observe the patients closely and inform the doctor and regarding the patient condition
- Give, take and facilitate all patient and visitors
- Provide health education to patients and visitors
- Provide all primary services related to maternal health
- Conduct regular deliveries independently and assist others as well
- Document medical and nursing services provided
- Serve as on-call first responded for any clinical emergency cases
- Assist in emergency room in case of high patient flow or severe patient conditions
- Work on regular rotation with other Nursing Staffs, including night duties.
- Develop, teach staff in and ensure respect of nursing SOPs (standard operating procedures)
2. Manage the nursing teams at Charikot Hospital, including timely and compassionate care of patients, teaching and career development of nursing staff, and organized and clean management of clinical spaces.
- Ensure all requested nursing (surgical, inpatient, maternity, abortion) data reports are submitted on time to the Data and Technology Officer
- Stay actively engaged in community health programs
- Manage inpatient and surgical nursing staffs, as well as Health Aides, including fulfillment of job responsibilities, professional demeanor, attendance, proper leave requests, etc.
- Compose Nursing Duty Roster for all nursing staffs by the 1st of every month
- Monitor and manage:
- consistent stock and supply for all clinical departments
- cleanliness of all clinical spaces
- Participate in Internal Management Committee, Procurement Committee, Data Meetings, Morbidity and Mortality Reports, and others upon request
- Appoint staff to Quality Teams
- Supervise the Deputy Health Aide In-Charge to ensure proper supervision of health aids for cleaning, assisting in deliveries and OT, and proper sterilization techniques
3. Support the management structure of the hospital as a member of senior management
- Know and follow hospital operating guidelines in all operations; improve as necessary and write new SoPs as needed
- Participate as a member of hospital management being on time in morning meetings, in charge meetings, medical and general staff meetings and other committees and working groups as required
- Ensure a culture of continuous quality improvement throughout the hospital
- Contribute ideas for hospital improvements
- Represent the hospital and its best interests in the community and with government, civil and commercial operations
- Perform regular 1:1 meetings with staff nurses.
- Perform employee performance based evaluations half yearly; train as needed, motivate as possible and reprimand as necessary those who report
- Track employee leaves and absences
BN will be based at Charikot Hospital in Dolakha District, rural Nepal.