National Professional Officer – World Health Organization
World Health Organization, Kathmandu, NP
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME:
The objective of the WHO Nepal Country Office is to implement the Country Cooperation Strategy by supporting the Nepal Government in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of national health policies, strategies and plans and developing and managing WHO’s technical cooperation programmes at the country level. WHO provides guidance and technical support in organizing the humanitarian health response and in revitalizing the capacity of the health sector to rebuild and recover from emergencies in appropriate and sustainable ways. The Country Office collaborates with the Government of Nepal and relevant stakeholders in support of their efforts of achieving national health goals; ensuring the attainment of universal health coverage and contributing to global and regional public health action by providing need-based technical assistance in national level by policy formulation, setting norms and standards, improving knowledge dissemination and management, monitoring country health situation and building sustainable institutional capacity, and play a greater leadership role in different national level policy and technical forums.
The objective of the programme is to reduce maternal, neonatal mortality and morbidities through various preventive, promotive and service related programs of Global and Regional interests in RMNCAH area. The special area of focus is MPDSR, Birth Defect, Family Planning, Prevention of Cervical Cancer, Adolescent Health, Neonatal and Child health.
Description Of Duties
Under the direct supervision of WHO Public Health Administrator, and overall guidance of WHO Representative, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Provide technical support in the area Reproductive, Maternal Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health. Facilitate the development of collaborative plan and implementation of relevant work plan under WHO-GON collaborative program, support monitoring and evaluation of related activities
Support Family Health Division (FHD) To Establish Maternal And Perinatal Death Surveillance And Response (MPDSR) Mechanism According To The Implementation Guideline To Existing Health System
- Technical assistance in trainings for the medical doctors and medical recorders on Facility based MPDSR process with death reviews and development of action plans to reduce preventable maternal and perinatal deaths and coordinate with the partners for expansion and implementation of developed action plans;
- Support FHD, DoHS, MoH in expansion of Community-based MPDSR of each maternal deaths in implemented districts by maintaining standards in all area (death notification, screening, verbal autopsy, assigning cause of death, review process and developing relevant action plans);
- Strengthen National , district/local responsible committees to ensure the standard process of MPDSR, develop and implement related action plans, ensure data quality and regular reviews, analysis of reviews at local levels, maintain regular documentation , develop annual report and wider dissemination at national level;
3) Support FHD and Child Health Division (CHD) to implement national Birth Defect Surveillance, Prevention and Management Plan( 2015-19)
4) Support Child Health Division, DoHS, MoH to implement various newborn and Child health programs to improve neonatal and child mortality related to IMNCI, FB IMNCI and care for sick newborn in coordination with NPO (Family Health, Gender and Life Course);
5) Update Government counterpart in latest evidences and WHO guidelines in the area of Reproductive, Maternal, Neonatal , Child and Adolescent Health;
6) Co-ordinate with WHO National Professional Officer, (FGL) for quality implementation of the planned activities in the relevant field as per WHO work plan;
7) Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisors.
- Essential: MBBS (Medical Graduate)
- Desirable: Advance University Degree – Master’s in Obstetrics /Pediatric and Master’s in Public Health (MPH)
- Essential: At least 2 years professional experience in Reproductive Health related work. Experience in project management and capacity development. Advance technical knowledge and experience in working in or with international or non-governmental organizations on Reproductive, Neonatal and Child Health areas. Has completed Clinical Training Skill Course and able to conduct training to doctors, nurses and para medics.
- Desirable: -Experience of implementing MPDSR in districts, Experience of using VA forms to analyse cause of death in community maternal deaths, Experience of working closely with Family Health division, MoH.
Knowledge of WHO policies guidelines, result based management approach, programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies and guideline and of related program area of government. Knowledge of global health issues ,approaches & theories, principles, tools and recent evidences on RMNCAH.Self-motivated with ability to work with a minimum of supervision. Good interpersonal skills, able to work as a team member in a multi-cultural environment. Ability to travel internationally and within the country and to perform practical hands-on field work. Ability to participate actively and cooperatively in knowledge sharing and policy forums at various levels and also to coordinate the GoN agencies, international / bilateral agencies, NGOs / INGOs etc. Very good analytical skills including ability to collect and analyze technical data and information and to draw and present conclusions in written and spoken form. Very good writing skills in English, including ability to write clear and concise progress reports, analytical reports, plans and proposals.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Knowing and managing yourself
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Nepali.REMUNERATIONRemuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NPR 2,650,911 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
- Please note applications should be submitted through WHO’s online recruitment portal. Please visit www.who.int/careers to complete an online profile and to apply to this vacancy.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int./
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract duration: Two years
Job Posting: Apr 24, 2018, 6:33:42 AM
Closing Date: May 14, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Primary Location: Nepal-Kathmandu
Organization: SE_NEP WR Office, Nepal
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.