Migration Health Officer – IOM
Vacancy Notice No: VN#NP/08/18
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Migration Health Officer
Duty Station : Kathmandu, Nepal
Classification : General Service Staff, NO-A
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed Term, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : July 19, 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of Chief of the Mission and direct supervision of the International Migration Health Physician (IMHP) the incumbent will be responsible for medical examinations, referrals and treatment of migrants in relation to Migrant Health Assessment Programme.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Conduct health assessments of the refugees and migrants, including review of the medical history, physical examination, re-reading of the Chest X-rays (CXR) and review of the test results, in accordance with the technical guidelines of the resettlement countries.
- Ensure proper identification of the migrants during physical examination.
- Record all relevant health data in standard forms; ensure completeness and accuracy of the recorded information.
- Liaise with the radiologist and laboratory staff regarding results of the respective tests.
- Make referrals for additional testing and treatment, if necessary; follow up patients on treatment.
- Assist the IMHP in the management of various aspects of Migration Health related programmes involving public health matters, including liaison with external government partners, such as the Ministry of health, participating in meetings conducted in Nepali and English languages and coordinating with colleagues to assist in the development of Migration and Health related projects.
- Perform treatment of tuberculosis, sexually transmitted infections and provide support to the HIV and TB counselling activities.
- Take part in the surveillance system through notification of the stakeholders about communicable diseases identified during health assessments.
- In coordination with the IMHP liaise with health authorities in the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Department of Immigration and Citizenship, Australia (DIAC) and Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). If requested by IMHP, represent MHD/MHAC in internal and external meetings.
- Ensure that all relevant data related to the heath assessment program are entered to MiMOSA and other correspondent databases.
- Participate in data analysis related to the health assessment program for presentation and program planning.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the supervisors.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed Master’s Degree in Medicine from an accredited academic institution.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Valid license to practice medicine in Nepal. international environment
- Post graduate training and/or working experience in any of the following domains- public health, communicable diseases, tropical medicine or chest diseases – is a distinctive advantage;
- Knowledge of the Nepalese health system and experience in proposal development with public health interest and proven previous experience in this field is an asset;
- Demonstrated awareness of gender issues;
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work;
- Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level;
- Effective at writing and communicating in both Nepali and English languages.
Fluency in English, Nepali is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation – Convinces others to share resources Presents goals as shared interests
- Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. Only Nepali Nationals will be considered for this position.
Interested Candidates are requested to submit their application indicating clearly the position applied, VN number and CV with three references to the following address: Human Resource Department, International Organization for Migration, P.O. Box 25503, Baluwatar, Kathmandu or email to [email protected] by 19 July 2018. Only short listed candidates will be called for interview.
Posting period: From 06.07.2018 to 19.07.2018