MEL Consultant- JHU-CCP Breakthrough ACTION Nepal Project
Scope of Work of Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
Breakthrough ACTION Nepal is a 20-month USAID funded project with the overall objective to strengthen the institutional and technical capacity of the Government of Nepal (GON) to design, implement, evaluate, and coordinate effective social behavior change (SBC) programs. The key GON partners are the National Health Education Information Communication Center (NHEICC), Family Health Division (FHD), and Child Health Division (CHD).
The Breakthrough ACTION Nepal team will support NHEICC to actively collaborate and work in close coordination with SBC, service delivery, and other multi-sectoral partners and stakeholders at the national, provincial, and local levels to understand the changing SBC system for health, take advantage of the opportunities to strengthen the system, and resolve challenges that have arisen due to federalization and other factors. In line with existing governmental policies and priorities, NHEICC, in coordination with FHD and CHD, with the support of Breakthrough ACTION Nepal, will seek to provide the necessary support to the SBC system and strengthen the capacity of health units/coordinators at the province and local levels to prioritize funding for designing, implementing, and evaluating SBC programs.
NHEICC will work with Breakthrough ACTION Nepal to identify priority issues and analyze existing data sources in Nepal from the government and partners to fill gaps in knowledge and inform SBC activities throughout the country pertaining to reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health and nutrition in Nepal. The project will ensure to make the data user-friendly and easily accessible for critical decision-makers at appropriate levels.
Breakthrough ACTION Nepal will support the implementation of formative activities, including a comprehensive data scoping exercise (which will include a desk review of existing data and the development of evidence maps to summarize existing evidence) and the application of a network and stakeholder mapping tool to assess the current SBC landscape.
Monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) is a critical component of Breakthrough ACTION Nepal and will be an essential way through which the project assesses programmatic effects over the life of the project. The development and maintenance of Breakthrough ACTION Nepal’s MEL system will enable the project to:
- draw on formative and monitoring data gathered to strengthen activities and,
- use complexity-aware evaluation methods to glean and share lessons learned for future programming.
Breakthrough ACTION Nepal will procure the services of a local independent contractor, hereafter referred to as Consultant, to assist with set up of its MEL system as well as the aforementioned formative activities.
SCOPE OF WORK
The consultant, in consultation with Breakthrough ACTION Nepal, shall complete the following activities/tasks:
Activities and Tasks
- Participate in orientation with research officer in Baltimore to learn more about the activities in this scope of work and to discuss expectations for tasks and deliverables.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders (TBD) to gather data sets, reports, and publications related to family planning, reproductive, maternal, neonatal, child, and adolescent health (FPRMNCAH), and nutrition.
- Develop data summaries for each of the collected resources based on a clear, consistently applied checklist.
- Develop spreadsheet documenting list of resources gathered, including resource title name, type of resource (e.g. data set, grey literature, or published article), date of publication or data collection, data source (including relevant contact information and/or how to access it publicly), data summary (e.g. geographical location of data, audience of data, key outcomes, principle findings if any, sample sizes, data or document quality) and other information as discussed with the research officer in Baltimore.
- Develop evidence maps that summarize, visually, available data and knowledge on specific behaviors (e.g. post-partum family planning or exclusive breastfeeding) relevant to FPRMNCAH and nutrition.
- Participate in planning meetings as requested by Breakthrough ACTION Nepal
SBC Landscape Analysis
- Participate in training on the Net-map approach and digital mapping/visualization software to be used during net-map workshop.
- During the SBC landscape analysis exercise, input data from group work into data visualization software and create digital map(s)
- Orient field Program Coordinator and central office staff on the net-map approach and software use
Capacity Strengthening Mapping Assessment
- Synthesize data gathered from the CS Mapping Assessment (e.g. scores and/or findings from key informant interviews) to identify key recommendations and opportunities for programmatic focus
- Participate in orientation on Breakthrough ACTION global MEL platform
- Set up country page on the global MEL platform
- Develop monitoring checklist for monitoring visits
- Orient central office staff and field Program Coordinators on the Breakthrough Action Nepal MEL system and usage including Most Significant Change and Outcome Harvesting techniques
- Liaise with NHEICC designated person/s and Breakthrough ACTION Nepal field Program Coordinators to encourage buy in and technical capacity strengthening on data scoping, SBC landscape analysis, and Capacity Strengthening Mapping assessment analysis
- Consult with the Research Officer and Program Officer during their STTA to organize and co-conduct capacity strengthening sessions virtually and face-to-face at the national level on the topics of data scoping, landscape analysis, capacity strengthening mapping assessments, Most Significant Change, and Outcome Harvesting.
- Consult with the Senior Capacity Strengthening Specialist, Senior Program Specialist, and the field Program Coordinators to organize and co-conduct capacity strengthening sessions virtually and face-to-face at the province and local levels on data scoping, landscape analysis, capacity strengthening mapping assessments, Most Significant Change, and Outcome Harvesting.
- Development the SBC NagarPalika/GaunPalika Package’s data use section in coordination with the Senior Capacity Strengthening Specialist and with inputs from the Research Officer in Baltimore.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience developing and implementing MEL systems, research, and deliverables for health programs and working with government
- Must have USAID project MEL
- Deep understanding of Social Behavior Change Communication (SBCC), and expert understanding in approaches to monitoring and evaluating project performance and outcomes. Application of MEL in SBCC settings is highly desirable.
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative research.
- Experience with local level evidence-based SBC strategy development would be an added advantage
- Working experience in SBC capacity strengthening is desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with a variety of partners in multiple sectors.
- Must be able to travel to field program sites as necessary.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic environment with multiple partners.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage difficulty, timely, and complex issues with diplomacy and tact while holding steadfast to principles with staff, partners, and funders.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, able to communicate and conduct meetings and presentations in both English and Nepali.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise confidentiality, professionalism, and diplomacy.
- Ability to ensure adherence to applicable donor rules and regulations and local in-country laws.
- Fluency in English and Nepali required.
- Excellent (Native level) English writing, editing skills required
Interested Consultants are requested to send a cover letter clearly indicating expertise area, updated CV with proposed consultancy daily rates and 2 references by June 29, 2018. Friday at noon (Nepal time) by email addresses to the Chief of Party- BA Nepal Project at [email protected]