Junior Program Officers – SNV Nepal
The Urban Sanitation and Hygiene for Health and Development (USHHD) project is part of a five country programme and aims to achieve city-wide sanitation and hygiene by strengthening professional and organisational capacity of local governments, private sector, civil society and communities. DGIS (Directorate-General for International Cooperation) funded USHHD project is implemented in four cities (Khadak-Saptari, Birendranagar-Surkhet, Nepalgunj-Banke, Chandannath-Jumla). It addresses the four components in ensuring city-wide, inclusive and sustainable services:
- WASH governance, regulation, and enforcement
- Behaviour change communication and awareness
- Safe and affordable services
- Treatment, disposal and reuse
- Smart finance and investment
The primary partner of the project is the municipality and will engage with other stakeholders such as school, health facilities, private sector, local NGOs etc.
Overview of the Position
The JPO position targets fresh graduates of Master’s Degree and aims to provide professional exposure and the opportunity for application of knowledge relevant to their field of study. The position aims at implementing short-term assignments identified by local government and facilitated by the Project’s Senior WASH (Water, Sanitation & Hygiene) Advisor that will support achieving the objectives of USHHD for city-wide sanitation. The JPO Position will be based in Khadak-Saptari, Birendranagar-Surkhet, Nepalgunj-Banke or Chandannath-Jumla.
The JPO, under the guidance of the WASH Advisor, will be responsible for preparing detailed plan of implementation for the assignment and implementing the required tasks. With the support of the WASH Advisor, he/she will be required to engage with project stakeholders which may include staff of municipality, schools, health facilities, private sector, and local NGOs. He/She will report to the WASH Advisor based in the district.
- Conduct review and study of assignment to develop understanding of processes for implementation and required technical knowledge.
- Develop detailed plan of implementation.
- Be responsible for implementing activities following the plan
- Engage with required stakeholders
- Report regularly to District WASH Advisor
- Submit assignment completion report.
- Master Degree, in Engineering (Civil), WASH, Public Health, Social Sciences, and/or Business Management
- Good communication and representation skills and fluency in written and oral Nepali.
- Good English comprehension;
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
- Willing to be based in project district for three months
- Willing to travel and work independently in field
The position does not required any work experience. Application with more than one (1) year work experience will not be considered.
Female candidates from marginalised and ethnic minority groups are encouraged to apply and are given special preference.