- The applicant must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a national of a World Bank member country eligible to borrow.
- Not be a dual citizen of any developed country.
- Be under the age of 45 on the Application Deadline date.
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of all types of appointments of the World Bank Group (The World Bank, International Development Association, International Finance Corporation, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, and International Center for Settlements of Investment Disputes), or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent university degree) earned before 2013.
- Have at least 3 years of development-related experience since earning a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent university degree) and within the past six years from the date of the Application Deadline. Please see Annex 1 for a suggested list of development-related topics.
- Have been accepted unconditionally (except for funding) to enroll in the upcoming academic year in one of the JJ/WBGSP preferred university master’s programs listed on the JJ/WBGSP website, and located outside of the applicant’s country of citizenship and country of residence. (See further guidance below for when this letter of acceptance must be submitted to JJ/WBGSP Secretariat.
- Be in good health, with respect to the capacity to be a productive scholar on a continuous full-time basis for the duration of the master’s program, as certified by a medical doctor less than 3 months before the start of the master’s program.
- Not received any scholarship funding to earn a Graduate degree or its equivalent from any other sources funded by the government of Japan.