- Job ID 90995
Position: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Director- Nepal Health Systems Strengthening Activity
The World at Abt
Solving the world’s most pressing issues and improving the quality of life for people worldwide is what we do every day at Abt Associates. Creating a more equitable world is no small task, but we are driven by big challenges.
We are a team of 3,000+ people in over 50 countries working in unison and focused on the bigger picture. Only by sharing our commitment, energy, and innovation do we affect change and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We welcome diverse ideas, backgrounds, and viewpoints – joining Abt means access to exceptional thinkers at the top of their game.
To thrive at Abt is to embrace flexibility and collaboration. Our open culture allows you to balance your work and personal life as needed to optimize personal well-being. Creating a more equitable world starts from within – we look after people around the world, and we’ll do the same for you.
Ready to embrace rewarding and meaningful work? Now’s your chance.
Abt Associates seeks candidates for a Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Director for the anticipated USAID-funded Nepal Health Systems Strengthening Activity. The primary purpose of this activity is to strengthen the health system at municipal, provincial, and federal levels to increase the equity of and access to high-quality maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH) care. Qualified candidates will possess the qualifications listed below. Abt Associates actively seeks out candidates with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Therefore, we particularly encourage women, individuals from disadvantaged communities and castes/ethnicities, and differently abled people to apply.
As the MEL Director, you will be responsible for the monitoring, evaluation, and learning components of this project including the design and implementation of the MEL Plan, supporting the effective use of data for programming decisions, working with team members to ensure the project hits its targets, and oversees any operational research studies or assessments. Strong experience in managing and implementing M&E, staff building, excellent data analysis and writing skills are important.
- Develop and finalize a comprehensive MEL Plan for the life of the project, in collaboration with appropriate stakeholders.
- Lead the implementation and management of monitoring and evaluation for the project at the central and sub-national levels, including customization, roll out and management of an online M&E system.
- Collaborate with relevant health sector stakeholders on health information, health sector M&E, and other relevant technical areas related to program MEL to ensure processes reflect local contexts and priorities.
- Provide coaching and support to local partners to co-create and lead distinct MEL activities.
- Develop, operationalize and oversee MEL plan components including indicator reference sheets, standard data collection tools and processes, data management approaches, data quality assurance (DQA) protocols, and data analysis plans, and train appropriate program staff in their use.
- Directly supervise and manage the performance of Kathmandu and province-based M&E staff.
- Ensure that the MEL plan generates high-quality and meaningful information to inform program decisions.
- Support programmatic decision-making at all levels through data analysis, reporting and communication of program learnings across multiple locations.
- Support and manage the design, implementation, and/or oversight of research, evaluations or assessments.
- Lead preparation of all program reporting requirements and lead the development of learning products for information sharing with appropriate stakeholders.
- Oversee operational research assessments and studies.
What We Value
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Statistics, Social Sciences or other relevant field, PhD preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of relevant professional experience in monitoring, evaluation, and research in the public health field, with progressively increasing level of responsibility; experience with USAID-funded activities preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in rigorous quantitative research and analytical methods, some experience with qualitative research; firm command of M&E issues with respect to health systems.
- Demonstrated hands-on practical experience setting up and managing M&E systems for health programs; experience with DHIS2 desired.
- Strong interpersonal skills, initiative, good judgment, demonstrated team leadership, and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent report writing, analytical, and communication skills, including oral presentation skills, in Nepali and English.
- Extensive experience in knowledge management and dissemination of results and research findings.
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, statistical software).
What We Offer
We foster an environment where you can Thrive Your Way. Our innovative total rewards programs are designed to help balance your work and personal life. The approach toward your wellbeing centers around comprehensive benefits, flexible schedules, and professional development.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.