Director of Implementation Research -Impact Possible
Impact – Kathmandu, Province 3
Possible is seeking an entrepreneurial Director of Implementation Research committed to positioning Nepal as a global leader in healthcare innovation and transformation.
Applications are being accepted on an immediate, rolling basis for Nepali candidates.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
The Organization: Possible
Possible, also known as Nyaya Health, is a nonprofit organization delivering healthcare to under-served communities in Nepal in partnership with the Ministry of Health. With over 300 full time staff, we deliver care to over 150,000 patients annually in two hospital hubs and through our community health worker network. We have witnessed dramatic results through our integrated hospital-to-home model that has helped reduce maternal and infant morbidity and mortality. We envision a future where everyone, regardless of location or income, is guaranteed universal health coverage as a human right.
How to Approach the Role:
The Director of Implementation Research will serve as the leader of the Healthcare Systems Design Group (HSDG), Possible’s implementation research arm, and work to position the organization as a global leader in healthcare systems innovation. Central to these efforts are ensuring that research and evaluation are conducted in the service of both improving the equitable delivery of healthcare services, and shaping broader policy environments in Nepal, and globally. This is achieved through a focus on pragmatic research conducted to scale evidence-based interventions within adaptive healthcare delivery systems, and then disseminating the results of our impact.
Reports To: Executive Leadership
Direct Reports: Mental Health Research Analyst, RMNCH Research Analyst, NCDs Research Analyst, Qualitative Research Analyst
Works Closely with: Global academic partners, Director of Impact
Location/Time Split: Kathmandu-80%, Districts (Dolakha and Achham)-20%
Big 3 Responsibilities:
- Implementation Research Strategy: Lead the organization’s vision and approach to implementation research in the service of translating evidence to policy in Nepal and globally
- Implementation Research Execution: Lead the data collection, analysis, publication, and policy transformation efforts of Possible’s implementation research team
- Healthcare Design and Delivery Integration: Ensure that implementation research consistently engages with, connects with, and builds off the work of healthcare innovation and delivery teams
- Commitment to positioning Nepal as a global leader in healthcare innovation and transformation
- PHD or MD from a globally reputed university
- Track record in first author publications in high-quality, international, peer-reviewed journals
- Track record in securing research funding
- An appointment at a major Nepali university or the capacity to secure such an appointment
- Commitment to social justice as central to the research endeavor
Areas of Responsibility (AoR):
The AoR will be chiefly responsible for overseeing the following areas of responsibility:
1. Implementation Research Strategy: Lead the organization’s vision and approach to implementation research in the service of translating evidence to policy in Nepal and globally
- Work closely with the senior leadership team to lead the vision for the HSDG as the preeminent policy think-do tank in Nepal;
- Continuously engage with senior leaders and other team members to ensure implementation research is aligned with programmatic and strategic priorities of Possible
- Be responsible for building strategic relationships with key leaders in the MoH and the Nepal Health Research Council (NHRC);
- Work towards creating an ecosystem of critically-minded healthcare systems researchers both within and outside of the organization;
- Institutionalize and drive forward the vision for the Implementation Research Unit within the NHRC as a central part of this ecosystem;
- Work with the Director of Impact to institutionalize effective and ethical relationships between U.S.-based academic institutions and Possible’s work in Nepal;
- In addition to research focused on improving healthcare delivery, lead research efforts that advance social justice in Nepal, and globally.
- The Director should champion our implementation research team and output to generate partnership and revenue opportunities for Possible;
- Work with Possible leadership and implementation research members to strategically identify areas for collaboration around research with U.S.-based academic institutions, including funding opportunities and grants;
- Remain up-to-date on funding opportunities that exist for low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) PIs, and work with Possible’s grant writing team to identify and write content for scientific awards;
- k. Serve as Co-PI on US National Institutes of Health and other international research awards.
2. Implementation Research Execution: Lead the data collection, analysis, publication, and policy transformation efforts of Possible’s implementation research team, the Healthcare Systems Design Group
- Ensure the integrity and ethical execution of all components of Possible’s implementation research program;
- Oversee the maintenance of Possible’s research databases;
- Continuously engage with senior leaders and other team members to ensure implementation research execution is effective at a grassroots level in augmenting programs;
- Serve as lead author on publications that advance the strategic policy priorities of the organization;
- Ensure an equitable approach to publication and authorship across all tiers, teams, and sites of the organization;
- Write and engage in lay press media internationally and nationally.
3. Healthcare Design and Delivery Integration: Ensure that implementation research consistently engages with, connects with, and builds off the work of healthcare innovation and delivery teams
- Work closely with healthcare leadership and staff throughout the organization to provide accountability and structure to research programs;
- Create mechanisms and forums for the shared learning of research and healthcare delivery across the organization;
- Ensure the leadership and decision making in research programs to have representation from the leaders and staff of delivery and design programs;
- Ensure integration of research team members into the work of delivery and innovation teams;
- Provide oversight to international consultants and researchers to ensure their engagement in research augments and is integrated with service delivery and innovation;
- Engage members across the organization, from design and delivery leadership to grassroots providers, as co-authors and co-presenters in the work.
The above list of responsibilities is not comprehensive, and the Director of Implementation Research may be required to take on additional responsibilities, as determined by the Executive Leadership.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
What happens after submission?
If your application is a good fit, we will follow-up with you directly. At that time we will also request your NIH biosketch, so please have that prepared and available. Please note that due to a large volume of applications, your application may not be responded to. If your application is advanced, we will ask immediately to set up an interview to initiate the interview process.