Deputy Team Lead cum Community Engagement Specialist – Strengthening Systems for Better Health
USAID’s Strengthening Systems for Better Health Activity is a 5-year project aimed at improving health outcomes in Nepal, particularly for the most marginalized and disadvantaged groups in the country. This will be accomplished through supporting the Government of Nepal’s efforts to expand access to and use of quality maternal, newborn and child health and family planning services, with a specific focus on newborn care. Systems Strengthening for Better Health was initiated in January 2018 and will achieve three outcomes: (i) improving access to and utilization of equitable healthcare services, (ii) improving the quality of health services at facility and community levels and (iii) improving health system governance, within the context of decentralization and federalism. The project will be implemented in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development, provincial and municipal governments, facility and community level health service providers and other key stakeholders. Project works at national, provincial and municipal levels in the target geographic areas of Provinces 6 (Karnali) and 5.
Systems Strengthening for Better Health is currently recruiting for below position, and welcomes applications from qualified individuals. This position is based at Birendranagar, Surkhet.
Deputy Team Lead cum Community Engagement Specialist
LOCATION: Surkhet, with at least 30% field travel
POST TYPE: National, Project Contract
In the capacity of Deputy Team Lead, the staff member in this position will work closely with the Provincial Team Lead to ensure optimal support to and management of field level program activities across 105 municipalities in Karnali Province and selected districts of Province 5. S/he is responsible to build capacity among project team members and partners to carry out the partnership and stakeholder engagement functions of their jobs. S/he provides management oversight to the Activity’s multidisciplinary frontline teams, to help them plan, manage and deliver on the capacity building plans with counterparts at municipal level. The Deputy Team Lead works closely with the Provincial Team Lead and operations staff in Surkhet and Kathmandu to ensure optimal support for field level implementation. S/he also documents successes, best practices and lessons related to partnership and engagement aspects of health service delivery and utilization, in order to incorporate these practices into project strategy and implementation. S/he networks with other organizations to promote collaboration and networking in service delivery and utilization and to achieve sustainable health outcomes. S/he will share Save the Children’s best practices and experience with the project team, partners and other organizations.
As Community Engagement Specialist, this staff member will be responsible for ensuring that community engagement of project stakeholders are incorporated in the different stages of the project cycle of Strengthening Systems for Better Health Activity; situation assessment, project designing/development, planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring, and reporting. This requires liaising with technical, managerial and finance teams and developing strategies for incorporating community participation and partnership approaches for different stakeholders at local level to ensure achievement and sustainability of project outcomes. This includes but not limited to engagement of Female Community Health Volunteers (FCHVs), Health Facility Operations and Management Committees (HFOMCs), Health Mothers Groups (HMGs), elected representatives in the Municipality and Municipal councils, Health Workers, community leaders, civil society and other stakeholders.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Strategic planning and implementation (40% LOE)
- Provide input to the strategic vision and direction to the Project to promote partnership and collaboration for sustainable health outcomes through the project and the counterpart (MOH and other authorities at provincial and local level).
- Support developing and /or reviewing project Strategies and Annual Plans, Periodic Reports and ensuring input to partners from partnership, collaboration and engagement perspectives.
- Develop and maintain in depth understanding of community engagement issues and initiatives, including national and/or global policies, donors, key players in government, USAID, INGOs and civil societies active in project areas.
- Ensure the conceptualization and design of appropriate community engagement strategies with focus on hard to reach and marginalized mothers and children of Nepal and that supports immediate and lasting change for them.
- Ensure that community engagement initiatives are relevant to mothers, newborn and children in Nepal in general and project area in particular.
- Support Provincial Team Lead in managing project activities and act as a Team Lead in his/her absence
Design and Technical Assistance (30% LOE)
- Take lead in ensuring that community engagement strategies are incorporated in different stages of the project from situation assessment, planning implementation, reporting, to evaluation
- Take lead and or/ assist in conducting stakeholder capacity and engagement challenges through situation analysis for the project together with other thematic specialists to identify/prepare/update project focus to promote collaboration, engagement and support system
- Develop approaches and plans for promoting collaboration and engagement of stakeholders together with other project team members to ensure the approach and plan is up dated periodically and as required, and reflected in the project documents and reports.
- Build capacity of project staff (including partners and counterpart) in community mobilization and engagement strategies, as appropriate
- Innovation, Learning and Knowledge Management (20% LOE)
- In close consultation of other project team members, explore and encourage the development of innovative initiatives to promote community engagement to address key health issues of mothers, newborn and children
- Support MEL team to assess performance against plans regularly against agreed program objectives and indicators from community engagement perspectives
- Take lead to generate evidence, learning and document and disseminate the community mobilization and engagement best practices within and beyond project
- Ensure learning by the country program from relevant best practice on community mobilization and engagement
- Share learning experiences, where appropriate, with and among key national stakeholders including government from community mobilization and engagement perspective
- Ensure information on community mobilization and engagement initiatives, lessons learned, good practices is accessed and used by the project team
Coordination and Networking (10% LOE)
- Represent the project in network and coalition forums, private and public stakeholder meetings, seminars and conferences as necessary
- Engage in relevant national and global networks on community mobilization and engagement
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master Degree in Public Health, Management, Development Studies, Sociology with health related experience
- Seven years work experience with at least 3 years of relevant work experience in similar field with having management experience.
- Awareness of national and international approaches on community mobilization in health and practical ways to promote collaboration, engagement, sustainability and accountable health programming
- Proven experience to maintain close working relationships and coordination with stakeholders including USAID-funded partners, other technical component leads and other local stakeholders and partners
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Proven written and oral presentation skills in English