Consultants – Planning and Budgeting- Strengthening Systems for Better Health
Kantipur (Mar 21, 2018)
USAID’s Strengthening Systems for Better Health Activity is a 5-year project aimed at improving health outcomes in Nepal, particularly for the most marginalized and disadvantaged groups in the country. This will be accomplished through supporting the Government of Nepal’s efforts to expand access to and use of quality maternal, newborn and child health and family planning services, with a specific focus on newborn care. Systems Strengthening for Better Health was initiated in January 2018 and will achieve three outcomes: (i) improving access to and utilization of equitable healthcare services, (ii) improving the quality of health services at facility and community levels and (iii) improving health system governance, within the context of decentralization and federalism. The project will be implemented in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development, provincial and municipal governments, facility and community level health service providers and other key stakeholders. Project works at national, provincial and municipal levels in the target geographic areas of Provinces 6 (Karnali) and 5.
Systems Strengthening for Better Health is currently recruiting for below positions, and welcomes applications from qualified individuals. These positions are based at the main project office in Kathmandu.
Position: Consultants – Planning and Budgeting
Locations: Humla (1), Dolpa (1), Mugu/Jumla (1), Rukum – West (1)
Period of Performance: Three months (Mid-April to Mid July)
The Consultants will work with the District Health Offices (DHOs), or their equivalent in new federal structure, selected Municipality officials, District Coordination Committees (DCCs), and Karnali Province’s Social Development Ministry to assist in preparation of Annual Workplans and Budgets for FY 2018/19 (Nepali FY 2075/76) for the targeted municipalities. The Workplans and budgets will be prepared in accordancew with the guideline of Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development (MOFALD) and Ministry of Health and Population (MOHP). In addition, the consultants will provide technical support to municipalities for preparation of Municipal Health Situation Analysis Reports, if required.
Consultants will be directly accountable to the Deputy Chief of Party for the duration of the assignment.
Key Responsibilities and Activities
- Provide technical, logistical and other administrative support to selected municipalities to prepare their Annual Workplans and Budgets, based on review of health and other sociodemographic information and by utilizing tools and guidelines prepared by MOFALD and MOH.
- Coordinate closely with the DHO, DDC, Social Development Ministry and other authorities to help prepare these workplans and budgets on timely basis and per the requirements.
- Support selected municipalities to enter the workplan and budget in electronic Workplan and Budget System (eAWPB) and to build their capacity to monitor their expenditure through Transactional Accounting and Budget Control System (TABUCS).
- Document and prepare necessary reports of project activities and periodically update the project team on accomplishments and lessons learned.
- Assist with the planning of project meetings, training sessions and consultations, as needed and assigned.
- Make logistical arrangements for project team traveling to their assigned municipalities, as needed.
- Graduate degree in Public Health, Health Administration, or other relevant field.
- At least six years of related professional experience.
- Understanding of Government of Nepal’s planning and budgeting process, including in context of federalism and previous experience in supporting preparation of annual work plan and budget for District Health Offices and/or Municipalities.
- Ability to travel in remote areas of assigned districts within short notice; those who are from and/or working in the Karnali Province will be given preference.
- Strong networking and computer proficiency skills
- Excellent written/oral skills in Nepali and English