Advocacy Director-The World Heart Federation (WHF)
The World Heart Federation (WHF) is looking for an outstanding Advocacy Director to work with our leadership and staff, to achieve our vision of a world where heart health for everyone is a fundamental human right.
In this capacity you will lead the WHF Advocacy activities to strengthen our role as the global advocacy organization for the CVD community, develop evidence-based policy positions and maximize member and policy maker engagement.
You have at least 5 years of relevant experience in the global healthcare arena (ideally cardiovascular), on advocacy, policy development and interaction with stakeholders such as the World Health Organization, United Nations and regional and national agencies.
You are an excellent communicator and possess experience of representing an organization at external events and conferences, giving presentations and networking with others.
The Director for Advocacy leads the World Heart Federation’s activities in advocacy, policy and science to achieve WHF’s mission.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of long- and short-term advocacy strategies on global CVD related processes and initiatives. Identify opportunities to influence strategic UN bodies and agencies.
- Oversee development of WHF policy papers, briefs, consultation responses, speeches and advocacy publications, working with WHF members, committees and volunteers.
- Manage and support relationships with WHO, governments, foundations, NGOs, business networks and government agencies and identify and support key areas of collaboration.
- Lead the WHF volunteer and advocacy team in representing WHF in key political meetings and events including the World Health Assembly, UN meetings etc.
- Lead WHF’s role in the Rheumatic Heart Disease Action Alliance including managing partner relations, overseeing implementation, developing the governance, project strategy and design.
Science & Policy
- With the technical backing of the Science Senior Advisor, support development and implementation of evidence-based policy, with a focus on WHO targets including overall mortality, hypertension, tobacco/risk and secondary prevention
- Manage WHF working groups and ad hoc committees and ensure that the workplan contributes to the overall WHF strategy
Education and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in public health, political science or other discipline related to health policy or equivalent experience in the same field (highly desirable)
- Bachelor’s degree achieved at the highest academic standard in a discipline related to health policy (required)
- 5 year’s work experience in an international development organization (highly desirable)
- Fluency in English required, knowledge of an additional UN language (highly desirable)
Essential Knowledge & Experience
- External relationship building experience and skills with senior level contacts
- Negotiation skills
- The ability to innovate and respond to the unique challenges of this role and develop it over time
- Staff management experience and skills
- A good team worker, with a positive, enthusiastic and cheerful attitude
- Very organized, thorough and methodical
If interested please email your CV and motivation letter to [email protected] by 23 February 2018.